Jose Guest

Default Seattle to San Francisco

A friend and I are thinking of driving down from Seattle to San Francisco around Jan 2nd. Any tips anyone can offer? (places to visit, routes, snow problems) Anything will help as I've never done it before

Thanks

Sona Guest

Default Seattle to San Franciso

Hi Jose - I am also planning to drive down to SFO. Did you get any valuable tips? Can you share them with me? I am esp interested in knowing if they ever close the passes in Oregon on I-5

-Sona

Default That is a beautiful drive!

Jose,

I have done that drive a bunch of times over the last 10 years or so. It is really nice. How long are you allowing? What kinds of things interest you?

Mark

Jose Guest

Hello Mark. IN answer to your question, we are leaving on Jan (2nd?) and we should be in San Francisco no later than the 6th...do you think it is doable?

We are interested in off-the-path attractions as well as nature sightseeing.

do you think the weather could be a problem?

Any tips you might have are most welcomed
    Jose

Default Four Day RoadTrip

Jose,

In your last post you didn't specify a date in January, but if it was supposed to be the 2nd -- a four day roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco is very doable.

Rain along both the Oregon & California coasts and snow in the passes is likely in January, but I have made the trip a bunch of times this time of year with little problems.

If you have time -- swing by Mt. St. Helens on your way south -- who knows it might even blow when you are there!

The Oregon coast highway can be slow going, but is very scenic. The state park system in Oregon may be the best in the country. If you like cheese, be sure to take the factory tour in Tillamook and Reedsport is a great place to watch the crazies windsurf the big waves along the coast.

Highway One in California is hard to beat anytime of the year. I think the best guide book is the one by <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/California-Highway-1.htm">Paige Penland<a/> and I would highly recommend you take a look!

Favorite stops along the north coast would have to include Redwood National Park, Eureka -- Prime time for Crabs and <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/vista.htm">Clam Chowder<a/> Fort Bragg and be sure to wander around Mendocino. If you have the $$, an over-night at the Stanford Inn is pretty darn special. The Ravens Restuarant (on-site) also have just about the <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/ravens.htm">best vegetarian meals<a/> I have ever found in the USA.

Be sure to check out the AMAZING rip tides found along the Point Reyes National Seashore. In the winter months, the rip going out to sea creates bigger swells than anything the ocean can toss at the beach!

Mark

Jose Guest

thanks Mark! that was a lot of help

Jose

Default Nice!

This section of the country is one of my favorites. In fact, Seattle and San Fran are my two favorite cities in the US that I've been to. The restaurants in San Francisco have to be the best in the country, rivaled only by those in NYC and some of the ever changing hot spots in Las Vegas. Make sure you walk the GG Bridge, visit China Town, and devour the Italian District. The best thing about the better San Franciscan restaurants, is that they're "New World" style, that is they're multi-ethnic marriages of flavors and style. I would avoid Fisherman's Wharf, as well as the Trolley and financial district areas. Japanese Gardens were beautiful.

You have to check out Redwood National Park on the Coast. If you have an extra day I would also go inland and see Crater Lake before hitting California. Other nicities are crossing the coastal range getting to the coast (you can come out just south of Red Wood NP near Arcata), and visiting the fringe wineries in Sonoma county (stay away from the actual plasticity of central Napa/Sonoma though).

Have fun!