I am planning on driving to Texas from New Jersey to visit two colleges: University of Texas in Austin and Texas A&M University in College Station. It will be two of us, ages 17 and 18, and we haven't had any experience at this before. I need some basic tips. We don't want to spend too much money so we wouldn't mind sleeping in inexpensive places. Would we be able to make it in 2 days going from morning to night each day? We live close to NYC.. and our plan is to make it there in 2 days, sleep there for 2, and drive back in 2. We are leaving on a Saturday morning and must come back on a Thursday night or Friday morning at least. Is it even possible? Mapquest shows that it takes around 27.5 hours to get there one way.

2. Default Check Out "NYC to Texas"

I've just answered a similar question in that thread.

For your question is it possible to do 27 or 28 hours of driving in two days... it's possible, but that's driving time and does not include breaks and gas/food stops. These take more time than you think. And friend, 14 hours on the road is a LONG day! I do that kind of a drive ONLY when I HAVE to. Otherwise, I take it a little more relaxed and casual. Bob