Olly Guest

Default Englishman wants to see the west

Hi people,

I arrived a few weeks ago in LA and although a great city, I really want to see the real parts of America - the big skies, deserts, ghost towns, and include Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon into the trip - Death Valley too. I'm on a tight budget, so camping is preffered to motels, and I'm on a motorcycle, so freeways are ok but not the type of road I'd like to spend much time on. Can anyone suggest a good week long trip that I'm looking for. Something off the beaten path would be great.
    Thanks in advance for your help. Yeehaw!

2. Default 7 days only?

Here's a route that's 7 days driving time, plus sightseeing. This means 9 to 4 each day in the saddle.

Take US395 north to Reno, Lake Tahoe. Then US50 east across Nevada to Delta, UT. South to Bryce Canyon, then take SR12 through Grand Staircase/Escalante, through Torrey and Capital Reef NP to Hanksville, south to Monument Valley. (Be sure to take the SR261 shortcut to Mexican Hat).

Go on to Chinle to see Canyon de Chelly, then across the Navajo Reservation to US89 and Grand Canyon (see South Rim first, then back around to the North Rim via US89 again. North out of Arizona to Zion National Park, then to St George UT and down I-15 to Las Vegas. Quickest way on to Los Angeles from there is I-15, but you could also go through Death Valley on the way back (takes extra time). This is an ambitious itinerary. If you want something a little more relaxed, cut out the CA and NV parts of the trip (or just one or two of the stops and still do the total mileage).

Another option is to ride north up the coast for 3 or 4 days, then return, either the same route or a different way.

Olly Guest

Thanks a lot Bob, some good tips there. Its only gonna be 7 days as I have to start looking for a job before the money runs out. Should all be good. Now then, just got to find a good map...