Road Trip SFO area and Las Vegas
Myself and my girlfriend are planning for 8-10 days trip to San Francico and Las Vegas area. This will be our first trip. Here is our plan-
- Reach SFO airport and get a rented car
- Drive to local area/probably down town San Francico to get the idea
- In the evening take 101 to reach Monterey area
- Stay in Monterey area for next two days and visit aquarium, Big sur, Carmel. Please suggest what are the main attraction
- Third day leave early morning and take senic Route 1 South
- In the Night, start to Las Vegas. We will be spending night either on driving or taking rest on some rest area. PLEASE ADVICE ANY SAFE REST AREA WHERE WE TAKE 4/5 HOURS REST WITHIN IN THE CAR. HOW SAFE ARE REST AREA DURING THE NIGHT? ANY SUGGESTATION? I'm planning to stop on I-15
- Spend next 3/4 days in Las Vegas and also see Grand Canyon
- Leave from Vegas to San Francico.. WE WILL AGAIN SPENDING NIGHT on ROAD. WHERE WE SHOULD TAKE REST FOR FEW HOURS?
- Spend next 2 days in San Francico. What are the major attraction?
We will be leaving from Texas. Thanks in advance for any valuable help.
Sleeping in the car is not a problem. Some worry about it, but I've done it many a time.
I prefer Truck Stops. 2nd choice - restaurant parking lots like a McDonalds or Denny's, shopping mall or plaza parking lots (just check that there are no signs posted that you cannot park there).
Most highway rest areas are posted "no parking overnight". Also I've heard they are not the safest place to stay in your car. Usually they are quiet & deserted at night.
Be sure to spend at least one overnight at Grand Canyon. There's a lot to see (including the sunrise or sunset). You can get a campground spot there to park your car overnight & sleep in your car.
Stop for a look at Hoover Dam enroute to or returning from Grand Canyon.