imported_Justin Guest

Default destination ideas

I am looking for ideas of places to visit in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. I dont want to miss anything thats more than worth stopping for. Any suggestions

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Some ideas

It's always difficult to answer these types of questions wtihout knowing what kinds of things interest you.

Seattle: Pike Place Market, Seattle Center/Monorail, Waterfront, Hiram Chittenden Locks, Lake Union houseboats and kayaking, Musem of Flight, Boeing plant tour, Pioneer Square, Bill Speidel's Underground tour of Seattle, various boat tours of Puget Sound including those that focus on seeing whale pods

San Juan Islands: all are fun in different ways. Roche Harbor is a favorite.

Olympic Peninsula: Bremerton Naval ships and port tours, historic Port Townsend of victorian architecture/homes, Hurricane Ridge, Sol Duc hot springs, Dungeness Spit NWR, Makah Reservation (with a fantastic museum), Lake Ozette, Hall of Mosses, various beaches along the north coast in the national refuge (Ruby Beach is a good one that is easily accessible), Kalaloch area, Lake Quinault (lots of good short hiking trails into the rainforest)

Mt. St. Helens!!! Including Johnson Ridge Observatory, Windy Ridge, and a trip into the Ape Caves

Mt. Rainier: Paradise, Sunrise, lots of great hikes and scenic viewpoints

Lake Chelan/Stehekin/Leavenworth/Methow Valley/Winthrop/North Cascades Highway: A loop from Seattle and back through these areas is a wonderful scenic drive with lots of interesting stops along the way, both natural wonders and touristy areas

Grand Coulee Dam/Lake Roosevelt/Dry Falls/Lake Lenore Caves: Great views of coulees, fun laser light show at the dam, fishing, boating, etc.

Yakima Wine Country: From Yakima to Richland are many wineries and the landscape here is far different than that of the west side, mountain areas, or coulees.

These are just highlights in Washington. I've left off a lot of other fun places to explore. You could spend your entire three weeks here and not see everything. The topography and scenery are very different in various parts of the state.

Oregon: Oregon Gardens w/Frank Lloyd Wright home, Oregon Coast (especially the sand dunes, sea lion caves, Newport, Depoe Bay, and Tillamook), Crater Lake, John Day Fossil Beds, Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood

Idaho: Craters of the Moon, Hagerman Fossil beds, Snake River Valley, Hell's Canyon, Payette River, Silverwood Amusement Park

Montana: Copper King Mansion, Glacier NP...heck, there's more but I'm brain-dead right now.

Hope this helps gives you some good ideas.

imported_Justin Guest

Wow...Thank you. Ill have my wife, five year old boy & four year daughter on the trip. Ive looked at websites and they didnt have as many ideas as this. Very helpful.

imported_Robert Guest

Default seeing

There are so many things to see in those states. You could spend weeks looking at all the stuff. As an example, Oregon has Crater Lake, Montana has the edge of Yellowstone Park. Idaho has Sun Valley. Montana and Idaho share Glacier National Park. I would suggest getting some maps, from AAA, if you're a member, and pore over the attractions. You won't be able to see it all, but at least you'll be able to whittle down what you desire to see. Try and not try to see too many things, and say something like, "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium." I hope you have a great trip.

imported_Carol Guest

Default Your NW Trip

My husband and I just got back from an RV trip which took us through the very part of the US that you will be travelling. One of the previous messages had just loads of ideas for you and I would agree with what she said.

What to see will depend on what your interests are. We are retired (so a bit older than you!) but we really enjoyed in Montana: Glacier Park - especially Going to the Sun Road if you are not squeemish about driving high, narrow, twisty roads. Washington: Leavensworth - a town that was "remade" into a Bavarian village in the 1960's. There is also a federal salmon hatchery there which was most interesting. Lost of hiking paths in connection with it. Also, if you like history, this is the year to see the Lewis and Clark Expedition sites. We enjoyed the L & C Interpretive Center in Iliwac. In Oregon: the Air Museum in Tillamook is a must if you are interested in vintage airplanes - especially from WWII. Also there is the Tillamook Cheese factory with YUMMY icecream and cheese to sample. Oregon has some stunning beaches. Absolutely breathtaking in my opinion. If you are camping there are three campgrounds that don't take reservations so if you get there around noonish there are usually spots available. They are Carl E. Washburne Campground, Cape Blanco, and Humbug Mountain. You can find them on an Oregon Map. Hope you have a wonderful time.