imported_Leigh Guest

Default Half-brits FL to CA building a dream

What a fantastic fotum, first of all... genuine sound advice is hard to come by. I'm an American living in England with my british partner....we've been dreaming of taking a southern road trip, as neither of us have ever experienced it! We'd like to start off near Fort Myers Florida, and end up Northern Cali. We're not picky, we probably won't make ressies, staying where we can and that. We want to see some of the bigger (I hate the word attractions..sounds cheap and commercial) landmarks.. Grand CAnyon, Carlesbad Caverns... Petrified Forest. That sort. I'm looking for a little advice as to how long this will roughly be.... and other places to be sure to drive through/see, and the scenic, slightly off-path routes we can take. I'm really giving the info I can, we don't want anything too rigid....we like a good time, and aren't easily disappointed! Just looking forward to exploring a part of the country I've never seen, and having that time together. Thanks in advance.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Miles

If you drove I-75, I-10, and I-5 the entire way from Fort Myers, FL, to Eureka, CA, you would be driving about 3300 miles. Of course, this doesn't take into account side trips to the landmarks you want to see.

I've not driven in most of the reas you're going through so I can't give you too much advice on landmarks. However, I can attest to the beauty of Hwy. 1 up the coast in California, Yosemite, and Death Valley. I would add those to my list if I were you.

Hope you have a great trip!

Default In Arizona

If you have time, there are a couple of great places in Arizona. First, you might try to arrange a trip to Supai and Havasu Canyon. This involves either hiking, or horseback or helicopter. The village of Supai is in the bottom of the Grand Canyon 9 miles north of the road's end at "Hualapai Hilltop." If you run an internet search on "Havasupai" you can come up with phone numbers and more information on hiking and on the lodge there (or you could backpack and camp). The location is home to 3 major waterfalls and several smaller ones. The water is crystal clear and turquoise in color, and is bracingly cold (and wonderful) to swim in when the air temperature is 100+ degrees. The drawback is the need for specific reservations -- the Havasupai Indians own the land and they limit the number of visitors that can come at one time.

Second, for a less back-country place, drive to Chinle on the Navajo Reservation and visit Canyon de Chelly. There are agencies that can provide you with a half day or all-day tour of the canyon, which has been home to the Navajo for several hundred years. You can also take a couple of car trips along the rim of the canyons, and see the view from the top, and/or hike in to White House ruin (the only hike you can do in the canyon without a Navajo guide). Canyon de Chelly is red-rock country, as is Havasupai (also known as Havasu or Cataract Canyon)