Chris Williams Guest

Default Planned road trip for 4 weeks from Orlando to Los Angeles, US 80

Hi to you all, I need any help what so ever from anyone who knows any info about this trip. I want to keep off the interstates as much as I can and really experience some quite towns a long way away from all the tourist spots.
    Myself and four other guys are coming from the UK and are looking to experience small town America to celebrate our graduation. All help will be greatly appreciated. Any websites that offer info on economy motels / B and B's along this route etc? Or best towns and city's to visit? Anything I should know about the weather in September for this trip? What not to do? Best road house bars or blues, jazz bars? Its gonna be so much fun doing this trip as its always been a dream for me to cross the US. Four weeks of driving and exploring then one week in Los Angeles at the end. I know my way around there as I spent two years living in Santa Monica but outside California is were we are going to need help.

Thanks for your help on this and all five of us look forward to seeing America.

Default US80?

For the most part, old US80 does not exist anymore, has been replaced by I-10, but there are other highways to enjoy and get you to the same places!

If you are interested in the history of the old west, particularly the Indian Wars of the late nineteenth century, you might want to check out the monument (actually just a rock cairn) in Skeleton Canyon, Arizona. It is on a dirt ranch road off what is now State Route 80 in extreme southeastern Arizona, and is marked by a historical marker where the dirt road joins the highway (probably just a bit more than 20 miles north of Douglas).

The cairn marks the spot where the Apache leaders Geronimo and Naiche (the son of Cochise) surrendered to US troops under General Miles in 1886. Geronimo and Naiche's group was the last band of American Indians to cease organized resistance against Anglo-American expansion in the west. Naiche was the group's "chief," but Geronimo was the fire under their passion and resistance.

With a handful of fighters, and women and children in tow, they had kept two steps ahead of the American and Mexican Armies for month after month, and against far greater numbers. But by 1886, they were worn down to the point they couldn't fight effectively, and they decided to quit in order to save as many of their followers as possible. They had literally tied down the entire US Army in the southwest, in order to finally subdue them.

After the surrender, they were transported (by rail) first to Florida where they were held as prisoners of war, then a fort in another southern state, and finally to a reservation at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

In his final years, Geronimo farmed and helped convince others that learning anglo ways was their best hope for the future -- but he harbored the desire to return to his home in Arizona (and raid into Mexico). He was never allowed to do so and died about 1909 after catching pneumonia while riding drunk in the rain. His monument at Fort Sill is crowned by an spread-winged eagle.

I am always struck by the irony that Geronimo's spirit was very much like the American spirit that prevails today -- his defiance and doggedness when attacked, his long-enduring hardness against his "enemies." And in the end, his pragmatism.

Come to Arizona, and stand where he stood! And while you're here, be sure to explore the Chiricahua National Monument and mountains in the same "neighborhood." Bob

imported_Robert Guest

Default sightseeing

If you're traveling from Florida, don't miss New Orleans. You mentioned jazz, and that's a place not to miss for jazz. If you're traveling through Texas, go to San Antonio. A pretty city with a river running through it.
    Rosell, New Mexico is now famous for the UFO incident in 1947or '48. There are signs all over the place advertising that fact. In Arizona, Flagstaff is the highest spot on old route 66. Unfortunately, 66 is pretty much gone. I would check out a website pertaining to route 66. It would show you where the sections of the highway are still existing. Of course, in Arizona, don't miss the Grand Canyon, and a little south of that, visit Sedona. A lot of scenery there. Not to be missed. I'm rambling, but don't miss the petrified forest in Arizona.
    Pretty neat. Oh, in New Mexico, don't miss the Carlsbard Caverns. If you have time, take the tour of the caverns. If you can get there around dusk, you can see the millions of bats flying out of the caverns searching for insects. It's really a neat sight. Not to be missed.
    I'm sure I'm missing lots of good stuff, but maybe this will give you an idea of things to see.
    Have a great trip. We'd love to hear about your trip after it's over.

Chris Williams Guest

Thanks to both of you guys for posting, I have since added Skeleton Canyon (would love to learn more about the history of the indians) and definatly will be checking out New Orleans and sipping some of that Bourbon in the many fine establishments. As for the Carlsbard Caverns, wow that sounds pretty cool especially if you catch the sight of those bats. Fantastic!
    Once again cheers guys for the info, I just hope that we have enough time to see all these fantastic sights. And Robert I will let you know how it all went in the meantime I'm still adding things to see on the entire road trip and every day it seems to be growing. Roll on September for a trip thats going to be so much fun, I just can't wait!

Many thanks