Mikael Guest

We four lucky swedes are planning a 60 day roadtrip from west to east in the summer of '04.

Rough itinerary is LA-Vegas-New Orleans-Chicago-New York and if time allows it, a trip down the eastcoast to explore a bit of the states of the confederacy.

We're looking at buying a car and the Cadillac Eldorado has caught my eye. What can I expect in terms of price for a car that can handle the 6000+ miles trip?

Is the rumor true, that prices on the east coast are higher than on the west coast for used cars?

Default Maybe not

I think just the opposite may be true. I selected a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado on the Kelly Blue Book website (a common car valuation reference in the USA), 83,000 miles on the odometer and the typical equipment. In the west, the car's retail value is right at $10,000. On the east coast, $8,900. My guess is this is because a western car is LESS likely to have corrosion damage (?).

Good luck! I did my 10,000-mile roadtrip in 2 months in the summer of 2000. I was in an 89 Jeep Wrangler.

You realize you will be spending A LOT of money on gasoline. Not as much as you would in Europe, of course, but way more than you would with a nice roadtrip vehicle like a Honda Accord wagon or Toyota Camry wagon or HEY! a Volvo 240 wagon. I would recommend one of those vehicles or something similar. :)