Zac Witte Guest

Default renting/leasing vehicles for those under 25

I'm trying to go on a cross country loop road trip, but I don't currently have a vehicle. If I don't find a travel buddy who does, I am considering purchasing one just for this trip and then selling it when I get to San Francisco. I would rent/lease a car, but I can't because I haven't yet reached the age of 25. Or at least that is my understanding that one has to be 25 to rent or lease a car. What suggestions could you give someone in my situation? And if I do have to resort to buying a car, what suggestions can you give to help me find a good deal? Where should I look, what kind of car would be good to put 10,000 miles on in the summer, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Default West to east -- better Yield

Zac,

The under 25 rental question is hard to answer because the policies are a "moving target." The official version tends to be that no major rental provider will do it, but plenty of posters to this forum have done it. I have requested a definitive respons from some of our travel partners and will post their responses in the coming days.

If you are going to purchase a car for this trip, (don't forget Insurance and registration expenses) you may do better to purchase on the west coast and drop in the east. Salt and winter storm damage on used cars found in the east will bring a significantly lower price upon re-sale in the west.

There are services that cater to international visitors that assist in the purchase/registration/insurance of used cars solely for the purposes of road trips. Unfortunately, I am unable to refer them here, as I have never received independent collaboration of the utility of their services.

Although I know you are not opposed to the break-down scenarios that might arise from using a used car for this roadtrip adventure -- it would be a shame to spend more on repairs than could be reasonably expected to be spent on rentals.

As far as the good deal goes -- check out some of our ideas on the http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/international.htm pages.

Default Some News

Zac,

Enterprise will rent to drivers as young as 21, although there is a daily surcharge. The amount of the surcharge is flexible and subject to local market influences. Our information is that these surcharges are in the range of $10 to $20 per day. One-way rentals are allowed under this 21-year-old rate.

Zac Witte Guest

Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately, it still leaves me out as I am 18. It's ageism, I tell you. Maybe I could sue. hehe i dunno, but its a big bummer. I guess I'll have to buy a car then sell it 2 months later. Unless I can find someone with a car to go on this trip....

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Default Rent in NY!

Zac,

The minimum renting age in NY is 18! I know that National Car Rental/Alamo in NY does the 18-year old rental. The bummer part is the surcharge is ~ $50/day.