Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48 STATE TRIP

Brent Hegnauer Guest

Default 48 STATE TRIP

Hey,

I'm going to be buying a school bus in a couple months so I can convert it into an RV. My life long dream has been to travel through all lower 48 states and see as much as I can. I don't care how long it takes, because I'll find work along the way, but any advice would be appreciated.

--Brent

Ted Guest

Default Way to go...

I think you have a great idea. I read a book once calle Blue Highways buy William Heat Moon..I think. Any way it is about a man in the middle of his life and his thoughts of traveling accross the country. He basically thinks that he would not see the real united states on the main interestate system so he wanted to take the less traveled highways through out the United states. very interesting and entertaining. Check it out if you can. I think you may find it refreshing.

GEORGE FRANKEL Guest

Default BUS TRIP

BRET THERE ARE TONS OF WEB SITES DEALING DIRECTLY WITH BUS CONVERSIONS AND TRAVEL THE MOST FAMOUS OF COURSE IS THE BUS "FURTHUR". THERE ARE MANY BOOKS AVAILABLE ON THE BARNES NOBLE WEB SITE ON THE SAME SUBJECT. MY ONLY RECOMENDATION WOULD BE TO KEEP THE OUTSIDE PAINT JOB NEUTRAL STAY AWAY FROM "HIPPIE" PAINT JOBS WE HAD A 57 INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL BUS WHEN IT WAS NEUTRAL WE WERE NEVER HASSLED WHEN IT WAS COLORFULL WE WERE. (YOUR CHOICE) WE LIKED TO JUST SEE THE COUNTRY AND KEEP IT SIMPLE. THE INSIDE OF OUR BUS HOWEVER WAS A TRIP IN OF ITSELF. "WHEN IN DOUBT MOVE IT OUT" GEO.F. GEO.F.

GEORGE FRANKEL Guest

Default BUS TRIP

BRENT TRY WWW.BOBSOKOL.COM/BUS FOR INFO ON BUILDING YOUR BUS WILL LEAD YOU TO OTHER SITES GEO.F.

Mike in Denver Guest

A buddy of mine did that last summer. for the entire month of July, he and a friend of his drove through all 48 states and one province of Canada. 48 states in 30 days and he has all the pics taken at each state line along the interstate to prove it.

How he did it I'll never know, but he did! It would have been awesome to go along but I couldn't afford to take an entire month off of work.

One of these days I too hope to do the same thing

ParrotRob Guest

Default William Least Heat-Moon

I strongly suggest you stay away from William Least Heat-Moon's book unless you are overly cheerful and need a good downer. While it was interesting, I can't remember the last time I read anything so depressing. Read Bryson instead, much more upbeat.

Default A kindred spirit

Yep, I would agree with that commentary. WLM has never set well with me. For laugh-out roadtripping fun, few books can match the wit and zaniness of Tim Cahill's "Road Fever" -- http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/travel.htm#cahill

FE Krieg Guest

Default driving a bus

Don't you need a CDL to drive a bus??
    I know in some states that you do....
    What about if you convert the bus into an RV??
    Does anyone have the answers????
    I'm going to avoid the issue myself & get a Class B Camper Van....Sportsmobile has some good designs...and more options than Roadtrek or Pleasureway....and more affordable!!!

Default Apples and Mangos

Large motorhomes, (with the exception of commerical buses) are classed as Class A and do not require anything beyond a standard driving license. Buses that are not being used to transport people as a commerical entity do not require any special licenses. Class B vans are as different from Class A motorhomes as apples are from mangos. Different application entirely.

Ted Guest

Default Heated Moon......

I read this book in college when a professor told me a may get abunch out of it. The trut is I only read haf of it because I got very bored. There had to be something more to it. Any way I did find it refreshing because I thought the reason behind his trip and his ideas to go where a good concept. I will have to ceck out the others suggested. I am not an RVer but allways enjoy long trips and the little things in life. I actually am heading to San Francisco for the first time. By plane unfortunately, but any sggestions on what to see, eat or do is much appreciated. Thanks