Default From East to West (and back again?????)

Hello all! My husband and I are currently trying to sell our home, (move closer to our family). We are a young, responsible couple in our 20's with a 16 month old child.

My husband has a job that is very versatile. For instance it doesn't matter where he is located, for what he does.
    I am throwing around the idea to him that we should take advantage of our youth and our health, and be adventurous and see the beautiful countryside of North America/Canada together as a family. And before the little one goes to school.

I personally would like to sell our home, get a traveling vehicle and hit the road. But that is a little extreme considering we don't entirely have a set plan and a 16 month old.

However if we did pack our bags tomorrow it would be something like this, take approx.3-4 months, visit tourist attraction sites, stay in hotel/(rv if possible), have money wired to us weekly (because in reality my husband can work while we are on the road). And just have a great time.

In the meantime, while I anticipate going on my roadtripping experience, hopefully someone can give me advice concerning this "idea".

Thanks in advance!!!

The avid traveler!
    Van

Default From East to West (and back again?????)

Hello all! My husband and I are currently trying to sell our home, (move closer to our family). But I don't see why we have to rush to our next home because we are a young, healthy, responsible couple in our 20's with a 16 month old child.

My husband has a job that is very versatile. For instance it doesn't matter where he is located, for what he does, he can do it anywhere. So I have been throwing around the idea to him that we should take advantage of our youth and our health, and be adventurous and see the beautiful countryside of North America/Canada together as a family. And before the little one goes to school.

I personally would like to sell our home, get a traveling vehicle and hit the road. But that is a little extreme considering we don't entirely have a set plan and a 16 month old.

However if we did pack our bags tomorrow it would be something like this, take approx.3-4 months, visit tourist attraction sites, stay in hotel/(rv if possible), have money wired to us weekly (because in reality my husband can work while we are on the road). And just have a great time.

In the meantime, while I anticipate going on my roadtripping experience, hopefully someone can give me advice concerning this "idea".

Thanks in advance!!!

The avid traveler!
    Van

kristy Guest

that sounds wonderful. i am so jealous!!! if you purchase one of those van sized motorhomes it would be perfect for what you want to do. (i dont recommend using the toilets though, it is a pain to empty the tank)your daughter will have enough room to move around and play with her toys. there is a fridge and stove so you dont have to eat out all the time. most rv camps have bathrooms with showers if you choose not to use the one in the van. not sure how expensive it will be gas wise. i have driven cross country through about 35 states we have a beautiful country with lots of interesting things to see. i would definetly seize the opportunity while you can. good luck and have fun! take lots of pictures too!!

Default Lots of Folks do this every day -- AND IT IS FANTASTIC!

I know of several couples that have traveled all of the country raising their children as they go. There are some web sites and other resources that you might look at on the following page: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/tips/families.htm

Learning to deal with the toilet holding tanks isn't really all that tough, AND it means you never have to rely on the rest stop toilets again!

Having lived on a roll for several years -- I would suggest that your husband's employers use "Direct Deposit" into a checking account that you can access with an ATM card. Since we have managed and produced promotional road tours for years we have found that the quick access to money can be essential (assuming of course that you have a ready supply...)

You might also want to check out our suggestions for getting connected on the road in the Dashboarding section, (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/solutions.htm).

Go have an adventure!

Mark

Default An RV is the way to go!

An RV is the way to go.

A van size motorhome is going to be to small for the three of you and they are more expensive than a full size motorhome.

If you have a vehicle that can tow then get a trailer. You can leave a trailer at the campground and still have a vehicle to go touring in.

A midsize motorhome will work too and you could tow a car if you needed to.

Don't worry about the toilet holding tanks...it's not that bad. I would rather dump the holding tank than go in most bathrooms on the road!

We've run in to many foreigner that come to the US and buy a motorhome and travel all over the US for anywhere from 6 months to a year then sell the motorhome before going back home. RV's hold their resale value.

Living on the road isn't that expensive. Gas is going to be your biggest expense. Many private campgrounds have weekly or monthly fees that are cheaper. Camping fees include eletrical, water, sewer in private campgrounds. You might not have all of these in national park, national forest or some state camprounds, but then they will probably be cheaper anyways.

Utahtea

Default 20% Deduction is the norm

Generally we agree with most of your comments -- one thing may need a bit of clarification. RV's rarely hold value, but they should not be purchased as an investment decision. With rare exceptions, RV value drops 20% as soon as it leaves the dealer's yard.

Mark