Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 brits going on a road trip for one month this summer starting and finishing in L.A, we really wanna hire a car. Two of us have had licences for several years but only one is over 21 (the other is 20) and we wanted to share the driving.

does anyone know any places that would rent us a car? if not, is buying a car a realistic possibility? any help would be great thx

Nomad Guest

I think you need to be 25 in the States to rent a car. So, the best thing would be to buy a car. It might even be cheaper and you can sell it when you leave.

MD Guest

Default renting a car

You do not have to be 25 to rent a car. You can do a car rental through dollar rental car. I do it all the time and you get a discount if you have a studnet advantadge card.

Default Can you tell us more?

MD,

This is the first we have heard about Dollar's program. What kinds of rates and/or surcharges are included? What is the cost of the student advantage program? Are there one-way drop-off rates?

thanks

Mun Guest

Default Same situation for New York

Howdy,

There's four of us doing a similar thing this summer. We want to hire a car, and drive from New York to Canada, stay there for a week and then drive back to NY.

There's three drivers, two of which are 21 and one is 20. We're finding it very hard to find car hire companies who will put the 20 yr old on the insurance for a reasonable price (I've seen some who will do so for $90/day extra on top of the other crazy charges!).

It's not really viable to buy a car as it's only going to be a week. In the worst case, the 20 year simply wont drive, though it would be nice if they could (it is quite a long drive to Canada).

Is it viable to leave the car hire arrangements alone, until we get to New York, and then shop around there? Surely there must be some small companies based locally who would hire to under 21's at reasonable rates?

Cheers,

Mun

Barry Thomason Guest

Default Cheap Car Hire!!

Hi mate,

Not sure if im too late with the info but I am a 21 year old Brit doing the same thing this month and I rented my car from www.onlinecar-hire.com. They are the cheapest and will only charge $20 extra a day for being under 25. I got a car inc of insurance and the under 25 waiver for £1490 - that for 42 days!
    Def the best around!!

have a good trip!

Default How does this compare with rates in the UK?

Thanks for the updated information. Doing a fast conversion calculation -- that must be ~ $USD 50/ day. -- Is that about what you would expect to pay elsewhere -- UK, Europe, etc?

It actually does sound like a very reasonable rate.

Thanks again for the posting!

Mark

alan sendorek Guest

Default road tripping brits

I'm doing an ntership with some mates in congress and we want to road trip down to florida from d.c. after our placements finish in december. Only 1 of us is 21 - is there any chance of being able to rent? what about this buying a car thing? do people seriously buy a car for a week or two?

alan sendorek Guest

I'm doing an ntership with some mates in congress and we want to road trip down to florida from d.c. after our placements finish in december. Only 1 of us is 21 - is there any chance of being able to rent? what about this buying a car thing? do people seriously buy a car for a week or two?

alan sendorek Guest