Ben Guest

Default LA-Phoenix, Helps!!!

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if any of you has ever driven from/to
    Los Angeles, California to/from Phoenix, Arizona? 400 milles thru. deserts.
    How is it compared to LA-Las Vegas route, or to LA-San Franscisco route? better or worse?

I have to go to Phoenix this Thanksgiving, and I have to choices: DRIVE or FLY.

Accompanying with me is my four-month old child and my wife. We are all young, We can fly
    from LA-Phoenix, but doing so can waste us hours of waiting at the airports for "checking"
    or might risk our lives due to amazingly increased hijack threats, and ... hell knows.

More importantly, I like to have this first time ever LA-Phoenix roadtrip experience;
    but I'm not sure my family can stand it. For examples, we might not be able to see
    as many rest areas, gas stations, call-boxes, highway patrols as we can see in other routes.
    I will rent a good car to cope with this challenge, but what's a chance that our car can break
    on deserts during this November without being able to get any helps from someone else???

Please give me some valuable hints, so I can book either air fares or a car now.
    If you do have such a driving experience, would you mind to tell me in details; I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and helps.

Ben

Default Are you serious?

I have made that trip, (LA to Phoenix) hundreds of times. It is interstate all of the way -- what level of challenge does that represent to you?

But let me get this straight -- are you considering driving from LA to Phoenix by way of San Francisco or Las Vegas?
    You could do it, but it would add hundreds of extra miles.

Mark

Default First message --- too harsh?

Ben, My first response may have been too harsh -- perhaps this really is your first roadtrip... So here is the kinder response:

<<<<More importantly, I like to have this first time ever LA-Phoenix roadtrip experience; but I'm not sure my family can stand it. For examples, we might not be able to see as many rest areas, gas stations, call-boxes, highway patrols as we can see in other routes. I will rent a good car to cope with this challenge, but what's a chance that our car can break on deserts during this November without being able to get any helps from someone else???>>>

If you follow the Interstate-10 Hwy you will be traveling along one of the busiest traffic corridors in the nation. It is physically impossible to be anywhere on the stretch of highway between LA and Phoenix at any time in a 24 hour period when you will not see another vehicle for more than a minute or two at the tops. Which isn't to say that you won't see some wonderful stretches of California and Arizona desert. If your car were to break down -- a state trooper would probably stop within 30-60 minutes depending on where you were.

If you were to leave downtown LA and drive to downtown Phoenix by the most direct route, you would cover 372 miles and spend about five hours on the road.

There are plenty of amazing side trips you can take along the way. What kinds of things interest you?

RW

Ben Guest

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your responses; I've decided to drive from LA to Phoenix.
    But when it rains in desert areas, can my car easily get hit by lighting? :-).

This is going to be my first ever roadtrip to Arizona despite the fact that
    I've driven a lot in California. I hope it'll bring us a lot of funs. Thanks
    again.

Ben

Default Rubber tires

Road Greetings Ben,

Unless you are planning to drive a tank with metal treads - I wouldn't worry about being hit by lightning. Remember, your vehicle has rubber tires -- lightning is seeking a ground -- a car does not offer such an option. Now, if you were lucky enough to be in the middle of a severe electrical storm and you stood outside and you were standing in a deep puddle and you were leaning on your car -- then you might present a option to a lightning bolt. But the lightning could only hit your car by traveling through your body (which was connected to the ground by virtue of the water puddle on the ground). I have never heard of any car being struck by lightning.

Have a fun trip!

Mark

tempetowner Guest

Default phx-la

Make sue you stop at the General Patton muesam. It is either in Desert Cente or Chiraco Summit, CA. Do Not exceed the speed limit in the followig cities: (iknow from expieriennce) Blythe, Quartzsite AZ , BuckeyeAZ

Default Speed limits in smaller towns

As a general rule, always follow the speed limits to the letter in smaller towns. Such fines are an expected part of the town's general fund budget. Plus, it is an appropriate courtesy when on the road.

Default So.... How was it?

Ben,

I hope you post a message about your first road trip to Phoenix. The weather might have been a bit stormy on Saturday -- but I bet the rest of the time it was grand. Let us know.

Mark