Default Vegas to Bowling Green, KY

Hey Guys,

Driving from Vegas to Bowling Green leaving this Sat around 8:30 AM. I consider myself a driver and a car enthusiast who doesn't mind driving long distances. Having said that, I didn't think much of this 2000 mile trip until yesterday and as time gets closer, I am starting to get some butterflies considering, I have to be back home by Sun night.

I think my trip takes me thru CO > KS > MO to KY, I am not sure what to expect in CO/KS roads? Any helpful tips regarding this trip especially avoiding the construction areas and other speed traps be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Why?

You will get essentially the same advice this time as when you approached us last year about essentially the same trip

The fact that you're 'concerned' about a 4,000 mile round trip indicates to me that you're not planning on doing this trip in two days (impossible) or two weeks (no cause for concern), but rather in one week - or more precisely, nine days. Now. It will take you four days, minimum, to travel one way safely, and four days to drive back, again - safely! So your plan appears to be to sit in your car for eight days to spend one day in Bowling Green. Why? I just don't see the point.

But to answer your questions... The roads in Colorado and Kansas will be just like the roads in the other 47 states. You'll be limited by your time constraints to using only Interstates, and those are all built to the same standards in all 49 states. (Alaska has none.) It would be slightly shorter, but not significantly so, to use I-40 through AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, and TN. You could of course use one set of roads east-bound and a different set of roads west-bound, but again there is no meaningful difference either in the miles (1,860±10) or time (4 days) needed for the two routes. The only way to avoid construction is to add significantly to the miles and time by first checking each state's highway website for construction zones and then detouring around them. For what it's worth, the only significant construction I see is on I-40 near Flagstaff, AZ. and the only way to avoid speed 'traps' is to not speed. Period.

AZBuck

AZBuck,

Thanks for replying but you must have me confused with another member. I wasn't even planning this trip until few days ago so I am sure that's another member you have me confused with. Anyway, Is it safe driving thru KS, meaning are roads empty miles after miles or would I be driving along other traffic?

Thanks

Buck isn't confused, Someone with your username posted last year about a trip from Vegas to Louisville last year - a thread he linked to in his reply.

There is no interstate anywhere in the country that doesn't see hundreds of cars every hour of every day. If you really have the experience you claim of driving long distances, I'm curious why you'd ever think otherwise.

My bad, yeah sure enough that was me LOL and I didn't even realize Buck had attached a link to his thread until I read your post. Yes I was planning on picking up a car from PHX and driving back to KY but the deal fell thru never realizing I had made a post here, my apologies.

Most of my long distance driving is on the east coast KY-MA, KY-Toronto, KY-FL etc but nothing cross country like this hence bit of apprehension.

The biggest thing you really need to worry about isn't traffic, it's the physical realities of such a trip. There is a very big difference between driving 700 miles in one long day on the road, and trying to drive such distances day after day after day. The first day you might "feel" fine, but fatigue is a killer, and it builds up where your ability to safely operate a 2 ton machine at 70+ mph would be significantly compromised quite early on in your second and subsequent days.

That's why as has been posted here and in your previous thread, trying to drive more than 600 miles a day on a multiday trip starts to raise serious safety problems.

I completely understand hence my post here to learn from others. I am driving a BMW 5 series
    with comfort seats so that won't be an issue.
    Though, I would like to make it back by Sun but I have also made my schedule open Mon morning until 10:30 so I do have 4 to 4-1/2 hours- 300 miles of possible driving the following day as well. I think 700 miles day 1, 700-800 miles day 2 and 200-300 miles day 3 be quite possible.
    I don't plan on driving anything past 9 pm or as soon as it starts to get dark so I will try to stay fatigue free
    Would it better to go thru UT/CO/KS/MO or go down to AZ/NM/OK/MO?
    Thanks

I'm a bit curious that you say you're here to learn from others, yet you've decided you're going to completely ignore our advice (even though you admit you've never done anything like this).

Lets make something very clear: The kind of car you drive and the kind of seats in that car have ZERO impact on the limits of the human body.

What you've proposed is every bit as dangerous as driving drunk - for the EXACT same reasons. Thinking that you can somehow safely drive back to back 700+ mile days is no different at all than someone who thinks they can come up with reasons why they think they can safely drive while buzzed/after having XX number of drinks, when no one else can safely do it. Just like a drunk driver, you might get away with it this time or even next time, but it doesn't mean its safe, and eventually your luck will run out.

We've answered your questions to the best of our ability, we hope for your sake and the sake of everyone else on the road, you'll actually pay attention.

I will see if I can reschedule my work for Monday where I can have bit more driving time. Thanks

Default A saying so true.

That should not be difficult. Just tell your boss, you would rather be late, than DEAD on time!

Lifey