1. Default Fall trip for anniversary

My husband and I are planning a road trip from Hope,ar to asheville, nc. We will be celebrating 25 years of marriage. Will be traveling November 2 thru November 9. We do not know what to go see on way and where to stop. We will have pets with us so must be pet friendly. We love outdoors antiques history. Please help us plan our trip

Default Pet(s) Might be a Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Mostly, I've got good news for you. Eight days is plenty to have a relaxed trip; there will be plenty to see and do both between Hope and Asheville as well as in and around Asheville; November will be a lovely time to be RoadTripping through the southern Appalachians; and there will be historic sites, antique shops and stately old homes aplenty. However... many of those sites, especially the stately old homes and antique shops, are not going to be particularly pet friendly - they can't afford to be. So, this trip is going to take a little pre-planning on your part, particularly since you'll have two (or more?!) pets in tow.

What I'd do is to plot out two completely separate routes between Hope and Asheville so that you can see more of the country between your end points. For example, one route might go through mostly northern Mississippi and Alabama, using US-82 and crossing the Mississippi River south of Greenville, then heading up through Tupelo to US-72 and Chattanooga, and then maybe US-74 through Nantahala National /forest to the Asheville area. Some highlights on this route might include Waverley Mansion near Columbus MS, Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park outside Chattanooga, and the Chereokee Nation.

A different return route might go basically through Great Smokey Mountains National Park and then central Tennessee using either I-40 or US-70S/US-70 to Memphis then I-40/I-30 back to Hope. Some highlights along this route would be Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage, outside Nashville, Shiloh National Battlefield, Mud Island and Beale Street in Memphis.

You can, of course, do either route in either direction. And whatever route(s) you choose you should make a point of scouting out state parks and national forests along those routes since such venues tend to be a bit more pet friendly than national parks or historic homes packed with antiques.

AZBuck