Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default West Coast road trip

Frequent viewer of this site and many time road trip veteran of the lower 48 as well as the Canadian provinces (I am from the UK).

My wife and I are heading across to San Francisco early May for a 3 week trip this time and have the route all planned out with hotels booked. We have the yearly National Park pass so plan to use it again (we did a 5,500 mile similar trip last September) but we were a bit unsure if some of the higher passes will be open late May. The ones we hope to travel on in the Beartooth Highway (4 x 4 vehicle), Blackbear and Ophir (rented motorcycle) and perhaps the Bolam pass again with the 4 x 4. Can we expect any of these routes to be open mid to late May?

Our route is as follows (note that I have driven all the US states, know the distances involved and how far I can drive safely in a day).

1. San Jose, California (U2 Concert)
    2. Florence, Oregon
    3. Portland, Oregon (Two nights, Peter Hook concert)
    4. Vancouver, British Columbia
    5. Revelstoke, British Columbia
    6. Coeur d,Alene, Idaho (Glacier National Park)
    7. Great Falls, Montana
    8. Cody, Wyoming
    9. Evanston, Wyoming
    10. Salt Lake City, Utah (two nights)
    11. Telluride, Colorado (two nights)
    12. Durango, Colorado
    13. Sedona, Arizona
    14. Palm Desert, California
    15. San Diego, California
    16. Santa Barbara, California (two nights)
    17. Monterey, California
    Flight home

Default Have to wait and see.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums. A nice adventure to look forward to !

No one can exactly predict when the passes may or may not open, all you can do is keep an eye on updates. It looks unlikely that any of the Colorado passes you mention will be open and at this point the Beartooth looks 50/50 depending on when you actually arrive, it usually opens during the second half of May. Another one you are likely to miss out on is Logan Pass which means you won't be able to drive the complete length of the Going to the Sun road in Glacier.

Welcome to RTA!

A couple of things "jump out" at me, but I hope I'm misinterpreting. First, are you intending to use Coeur d'Alene as a base for Glacier NP? Columbia Falls, MT would be a LOT closer!!! In the past few years, Logan Pass/Going to the Sun Road hasn't been fully opened until late June.

Beartooth Highway has been open by Memorial Day -- the Yellowstone website says it should be open by May 25th this year.

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

A couple of things "jump out" at me, but I hope I'm misinterpreting. First, are you intending to use Coeur d'Alene as a base for Glacier NP? Columbia Falls, MT would be a LOT closer!!! In the past few years, Logan Pass/Going to the Sun Road hasn't been fully opened until late June.

Beartooth Highway has been open by Memorial Day -- the Yellowstone website says it should be open by May 25th this year.

Donna
    Thanks for the info. Actually spending the night in Coeur d’Alene to meet up with an old work colleague who I have not see in years. 440 or so miles to Great Falls so not too long.

You aren't going to have time to see Glacier if you have to drive 440 miles that day.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You aren't going to have time to see Glacier if you have to drive 440 miles that day.
    Should be daylight well before 06:00 so we will be on the road by then. 230 miles to Columbia Falls, be there by 10:30. Allow for 6 hours in the park, then on the road to Great Falls by 16:30. A distance of approx 150 hours to drive, be in hotel by 19:00, showered and downstairs outside enjoying a beer before it gets dark at approx 20:55.

Nice long lye in and then a gentle 325 mile (7 hours) drive to Cody the next day. We are usually early morning people and enjoy getting up with the sun but its good to have a lazy morning occasionally and this will happen as we are in an excellent hotel in Great Falls (which we have stayed at before).

When you're in Coeur d'Alene, take a moment to look at the status of Glacier NP. Hubby and I would hate to see you drive over there and find out that the main drag Going to the Sun Road is still closed down. Even if it were open, allow at LEAST 4 hours to get from Apgar (west gate) to St Mary's (east gate). Then allow another 4 hours to drive from St Mary's to Great Falls.

If Going to the Sun Road is closed to Logan Pass, you'll get to Lake McDonald Lodge, and that's as far as you will get. Here's the current road status, and it will update as need be. You can go to Lake McDonald Lodge, then around south on US-2 (allow 2 hours to get to Two Medicine, if it's open), then up to St Mary's where you might get to go as far as the end of St Mary's Lake (if they've got that section open).

Allow 3+ hours to get from St Mary's to Great Falls. Electronic mapping programs are notorious for telling you that you can get there in 2-1/2 hours, but from experience, it does take longer.

Donna

8. Default

Currently at half point of the trip and enjoying a cool beer in SLC.

Everything going great so far and weather has been first class. Drive of the trip so far has been Revelstoke to Coeur D’Alene. Both excellent locations and I would advise all to do this trip if in the area. Note that you need to catch a ferry but in Canada, all inland ferries are free.

Rental car I got is a Jeep Wrangler Sahara. There was only 7 miles on the clock when I picked it up but now sitting at just under 3,000. Managed to get the mpg up to 24.5 now.

Default Good to know.

Thanks for the update and pleased to hear its going so well. Will look forward to more updates.

Enjoy !

10. Default

Well trip ended very well - total of 4,750 miles over just under 3 weeks. Highlights of the trip was the locations of Revelstoke, Coeur D'Alene (and the road between them), Sedona and our first visit to Salt Lake City and San diego.

Most enjoyable road was the drive between Flagstaff and Sedona. Back to work for 3 weeks before setting off on our next Road Trip to Canada and New England on the 26th June.