1. Default Planning a US trip in June 2018

Hi Guys,

My name is Janek, I am 29yo I have been living in Boston, MA for 16 months working in academia.

I want to take a break from work and travel to the West Coast of US starting in June. My idea is to start somwhere in the middle of U.S. (Kansas, Chicago, NOLA ??) and going to California. I am considering trains, hitchhiking, renting a car, carpooling - you name it. I want to see America and even though I am on the budget I have some time for it. After that, I am heading south to Central America.

I am an experienced traveler and really easygoing person hoping to see some rural America and visit a couple of must-see's (like Grand Canyon). So far I have traveled to South Asia, Central America, Syberia, China, all over Europe and Marocco.

I am looking for potential companions. I am looking to tag along with someone who has a similar idea or similar plan in mind. Even if it is just part of the route.

Let me know if you want to head West from any city on the east coast or in from mid part of the states in June. Let me know if you want to join, meet new people, save some money or if you need an extra driver.

I appreciate all info and inquiries.
    Best

Janek

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've moved your post to the "share the gas" section, where you're more likely to find a traveling companion.

I will note that hitchhiking is not really recommended, and it would be even more difficult if you are with a second person.

Most of "rural america," including most national parks are not served by mass transit and car really is the easiest way to get around. However, renting a car one way usually comes with some pretty significant fees, so you may want to consider flying to a central location out west and do some kind of loop trip.

Welcome!

You might also consider one of the ride sharing websites. I can't personally vouch for any particular service; I just know that they exist, for the purpose of connecting people who need a ride with people looking for riders. Just do an internet search on "ride sharing."

Rick

4. Default

Thank you for your advice! I am on more 'planning' than 'gas sharing' stage of preparation but thank you anyway.
    Flying west and doing a loop trip is my plan B.
    Best
    Janek

- - - Updated - - -

thank you I will consider this

You're still certainly welcome to ask questions about your trip planning in this thread, but being that your original post mostly focused on finding a companion, this still seems like the more appropriate place for it to go - and is the only place someone who might be interested in joining you is likely to find it.

6. Default

Hi Janek,

I am planning a roadtrip from FL to California and north up through Alaska and Canada's NW Territory. I actually have a thread looking for a Travel Companion as well. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk about specifics in PM. I'm open to all possibilities.