Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to Grand Canyon West to Kingman

I am taking the granddaughters to GC over spring break. We will be flying into Vegas on a Monday, renting a car Tuesday and driving to GC West where we will spend the night at the Cabins at Hualapai Ranch, of course stopping along the way for all the tourist spots including the Sky Walk. We don't leave from Vegas until Friday afternoon, so I thought we'd drive down to Kingman and spend the night on Wednesday. My question is which route should we take back to Vegas on Thursday? I'd like to see Oatman and drive the Sitgreaves Pass. Does this plan look okay for a 7 and 10 year old? Am I missing anything?

Thank you.

Default The west rim ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I am wondering if you aware that the West rim is not part of the Grand canyon National park and if you are not tied into anything I would recommend you reconsider and instead head to the South rim of the National park. The South rim is where you will see the Grand canyon in all it's glory as a Natural wonder of the world and as seen through photography all over the world, the West rim is actually on Indian lands and as nice as it might be, it's nowhere near as spectacular as the 'real' thing. From Kingman, its quite a short drive to Oatman from where you could loop back round to Laughlin or continue south to Lake Havasu or cut across to Mesquite Creek just south of Oatman.

Not only that, but the admission fee to the Skywalk is quite expensive. You also can't bring phones or cameras onto it.

I also highly recommend you cancel your West Rim reservations and go to the South Rim.

It's only about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive from LV to the South Rim. If you spend about 30 minutes more, you can take old 66 from Kingman to Seligman. This is the longest stretch of the original Route 66 still in existence. Returning via Oatman is quite feasible. Leave Oatman to the south and take Boundary Cone Road (153) to AZ-95 north to Bullhead Parkway into Laughlin, then NV-163 to US-95 to get back to LV. The maps show Silver Creek Road (155) north out of Oatman, but it is not a paved road, you would be violating the rental car agreement and it's in pretty rough shape.

Default The Oatman loop.

On the same note as above, I would recommend you take your granddaughters to the Grand Canyon National Park at the South Rim, and forget about the West Rim. With the cost, and without any photograpghic memory, it is just not worth it. The South Rim is spectacular and you can go for a wonder on some of the short hikes. Take all the photos and videos you like, and have the memory to talk about and share for years to come.

Definitely go to Oatman, the girls will love the burros wandering down the main street. Very tame and friendly, and you can purchase the apporopriate food to feed them. From Kingman over Sitgreaves pass to Oatman is definitely worth it, and then either retrace your steps back to Kingman and LV, or continue on to Topok where the Mother Road meets the River. That road is paved all the way, and much more like the route 66 the early travellers traversed. At Topok take I-40 back to Kingman.

Lifey

Why go back to Kingman? The route I suggested is the most direct way back to Las Vegas, and I've driven it.

Default Paved vs. unpaved.

As have I. But you mentioned that it could violate a rental agreement, seeing it is unpaved. The road to Topok is paved all the way.

Lifey

Lifey. They will be heading to Vegas and not back to Kingman. The quickest way after Oatman (or Topok, however they decide) will be to get across to 95 and not go near Kingman. It will also offer an alternative to US93 that they would have already travelled.

Default Grapevine Canyon -- A stop on the way back to Las Vegas from Oatman

And I have an alternative stop on the way back to Las Vegas... Grapevine Canyon is just off the highway and offers an easy walk to see some incredible petroglphys.

So from Topok, tavel north on AZ-95 (not US-95) to Bullhead City, Arizona, cross the river into Laughlin and take NV-163 west. A couple miles west of town you will see signs for Christmas Tree Pass Road, the road exits to the right side of Highway 163 (and there will be signs for Grapevine Canyon) - turn right (north) and drive 1/4 mile to the parking lot. From there it is an easy walk up the canyon to see the rock art.

You can retrace your route back to NV-163 and continue west to US-95 and then back to Las Vegas. Alternatively, although Christmas Tree Pass Road is not paved -- it is essentially paved -- in very good condition and provides a beautiful side trip back to US-95. It should be driven in daylight hours for best effect. The locals have decorated many of the juniper trees found along the road as "Christmas Trees." Here is a story that describes the road a bit more. And some photos of the rock art.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    As have I. But you mentioned that it could violate a rental agreement, seeing it is unpaved. The road to Topok is paved all the way.

Lifey
    No, the route I suggested is paved. South out of Oatman like you were going to Topock, but turn right on Boundary Cone Road (153) to AZ-95. Then north to Bullhead Parkway (this takes you around downtown Bullhead City) and across the river into Laughlin and NV-163. This is 35 miles shorter than going via Topock.

The road that is not paved is Silver Creek Road (155) north out of Oatman to Bullhead City.

Default Also know as Oatman Road

George is right. That road is also known as Oatman Road, It is County Road 153 -- and is the route I usually take when I go to Oatman from Las Vegas. I had forgotten the leg.

Mark