Default Planning NE Trip from SC

I am 26 and planning to travel to Maine and Niagara Falls/Canada in the Winter of 2019. I need advise.

Looking at planning for a week, my bucket list is to hit all 50 states. The states I need to hit are Connecticut, Massachusettes, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire. I'd also like to hit Niagara Falls and Canada.

I'd like to do this from my town in South Carolina for 7 days, a Saturday to saturday. Any ideas for an itenerary?

Welcome to RTA!

Without knowing exactly where in SC you are, I used Columbia and plotted out the most efficient route to hit all those states. It came out to 2500 miles, which is 5 days of JUST driving. This can increase considerably if the weather does not cooperate.

Wherever you are, get to I-77 somehow. Take that north to Beckley WV, then take US-19 to I-79 to Erie PA, then I-90 to Buffalo NY. Take I-190 to Robert Moses Parkway into Niagara Falls and cross the Rainbow Bridge. Leave on ON-420 to the QEW. Take that to ON-403 to ON-401. Do NOT take any of the Canadian toll roads, they are cashless and require a transponder. Take ON-401 to QC-20 to Montreal, then QC-10 to QC-55 back to the US border. Take I-91 to I-93 to Concord NH, then I-393 to US-202 to US-4 to Portsmouth NH, then hop across to ME on I-95, US-1, or Alt-1.

Come back into NH on I-95 to I-495 to I-290 to I-90 to I-84 to Hartford CT. Take I-91 to I-691 back to I-84 to I-380 to Scranton PA. Take I-81 to I-77 and go back home.

I would keep the possibility open for taking more days in case the weather delays you. You will be traveling through the snow belt. Erie to Buffalo is famous for their lake effect snowstorms.

You will need a passport to go to Canada. Get it now if you don't have one, they are valid for 10 years.

I would not plan on specific overnight stops, you will need a lot of flexibility to account for weather. With normal rest stops, 500 miles will take you 10+ hours on Interstates in good weather. Don't try to drive more than 600 miles a day, that is unsafe on a multi-day trip. Driving tired is as hazardous as driving drunk.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We can't really give you many ideas for an itinerary since we don't really know what you hope to get out of this trip. Do you just want to drive through each of the states on your list? Do you actually want to see and do things on your trip? If so, what kinds of things do you want to see and do?

From "South Carolina" (I guessed Columbia?) to southern Maine and back is at least 4 days round trip just to cover the miles, and you'd need 5 if you want to also detour over to Niagara Falls, and probably 6 if you want to do more in Canada than just cross the border at Niagara Falls. So, with just a week, you don't have a ton of time for extras - but if you're just looking to drive through those places, you'll be fine.

I'm from Darlington/Florence, right at I95.
    If we change and do 10 days with a few stops what would you suggest? We may move the trip to spring around March of 2019 to try and avoid snow. We wouldn't mind stopping at a few tourist spots, but mainly just want to stop in each state to get the credit if that makes since.

- - - Updated - - -

As a matter of fact, we may fly to Buffalo and drive down, and hit those states

Default Consider All the Costs

A fly/drive itinerary is an option, of course, but it can get fairly expensive pretty quickly. First there will be the cost of multiple ("we") one-way tickets between two relatively small airports. Then there will be the cost of a one-way car rental with at least the high fees for dropping the car some 800 miles from where you picked it up, and possibly extra fees for an 'additional' driver (or two). And besides the cost in money, there's the cost in time spent getting between New England and South Carolina, two of your available seven or so days.

What I'd suggest you do is look for the cheapest round-trip airfares you can get from somewhere near Darlington/Florence to anywhere in New England, rent a car for a local loop in New England and upstate New York, return to your arrival airport and fly home. New England is actually surprisingly compact and a week, even five or six days, would be sufficient to give it a useful and enjoyable once over.

For departure airports, I'd look at Columbia SC, but your best option is more likely to be Charlotte NC which serves as a regional hub for American Airlines (I think). As for arrival cities, besides the obvious option of Boston, also check out Hartford CT, Providence RI, Manchester NH, Portland ME, Burlington VT, Plattsburgh and Syracuse NY, and Buffalo. The beauty of a 'local loop' is that it doesn't matter where you start/end it. So just pick the flight departure/arrival pair that gives you the best price on the combination of airfares and car rental costs.

Addendum: Allegiant Air, a low-cost airline, flies non-stop between Myrtle Beach and either Syracuse or Portsmouth NH, so they're worth a look also.

AZBuck

If this is just a bucket list trip, you can use my directions. Use SC-151 and US-601 to Charlotte, take I-485 east around the city to get to I-77. I'm keeping you out of the I-95 corridor between Boston and Richmond, that's some pretty congested driving.