Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sacramento to Arizona in February

Motorhome driving from Sacramento to Arizona in Feb 2018.. traveling with 8 passengers, motorhome only sleeps 4. Does anyone have route suggestions wherein we can find an RV park that has cabins or lodging along the way. Will probably need to rest outside of LA somewhere? Thanks.

Welcome to RTA!

Where in Arizona?

Default Legality and safety concerns.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The first thing that stuck out is you say there are 8 passengers in an RV designed to sleep 4. If it does not have 8 seatbelts you will not only be breaking the law, you will be endangering the passengers. More information will help, where to ? How much time do you have. Are you sight seeing or aiming to get there as quickly as possible.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As GLC mentioned, Arizona is a huge state, and you'd be looking at completely different routes depending upon where you're going within the state. So where exactly are you going, and what do you hope to do on this trip?

Also, are you taking 2 vehicles? (I'm not aware of any RV that only sleeps 4 but would have seat belts for 8.)

Default You Need Detailed Info

It's nigh onto impossible to give you specific suggestions since we don't know where you're going, what route you'd take, how long you plan to drive in a given day, or what your specific needs are in the way of "cabins or lodging along the way." What we can tell you is where to find that information. Your options include joining an organization that specializes in road accommodations and has far more detailed and specific information such as the American Automobile Association or the Good Sam Club, or becoming a member of a specific chain of RV sites such as Jellystone Park or KOA that have cabins at some of their RV parks. You can get more general RV information here.

AZBuck

6. Default

it does sleep 8, but just not comfortably. Yes, there are seat belts for all passengers. Thanks. No sight seeing along the way, just going there to visit family. leaving on a thursday afternoon and traveling back on Monday.. relatively short trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Chandler AZ

- - - Updated - - -

it does sleep 8, just not comfortably. We are traveling to Chandler AZ. No other vehicles will be towed as when we arrive at our destination we will be at a family home.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!
    Last edited by 530lynda; 01-10-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Your best bet is probably I-5 to I-10. It's the most direct and fastest.

A thought might be to find an RV park with motels nearby. There are RV parks in Valencia (near Magic Mountain) and there are certainly a lot of motels there too! Check out Valencia Travel Village (google it). You could stay at the RV park and drop your riders off at a motel of their choice.

Donna

Only problem with that is fighting rush hour traffic into LA the next morning. You might be better off trying to find something around Bakersfield, then taking CA-58 to US-395 to I-15 to I-10 to get to Arizona.

Bakersfield has a bunch of RV parks, but I don't know if any have cabins too. There are plenty of motels in the area.

Bakersfield is probably as far as you want to go anyway, being that you will be leaving Sacto in the afternoon. It's at least a 5 hour drive via CA-99 or I-5. Bakersfield to Chandler is going to take about 10 hours so you will have to get on the road early in the morning.

Good point, something my muddled brain yesterday didn't think about. If taking I-5, use CA-46 to go from 5 to the 99, down at Lost Hills. Bakersfield has a LOT of RV parks, but there is not a KOA that has cabins. Frankly, in mid-February, I'm not sure I'd want a cabin anyway, even in Bakersfield! Choose a motel for the guests and pick them up in the morning.

Donna

Since this is just an overnight stop to get a break from the road, I think I'd be looking at just stopping at a motel anyway. Presuming you don't need any hookups for just a quick overnight, you could probably just spend the night in the motel parking lot. Of course, this only would work because you are already paying the motel for at least 1 or 2 rooms, and standard boondocking rules would apply (i.e. make sure it doesn't look obvious that you are camping, don't put out chairs, avoid using slide-outs if possible), but I think in that situation, most motels wouldn't mind and it would give you a lot more options for stopping points than just RV parks with cabins.