1. Default Indianapolis to Dallas from 12/26 - 1/2

I'll be travelling with a friend from Indianapolis to Dallas from 12/26 to Jan 2nd, will be required back on work on Jan 2nd(in Dallas) so this is a must.

The plan is pick up a rental car in Indianapolis and basically travel to Colorado, Moab, Parks in Utah, etc.

There is no itinerary yet, so anything helps guys. We know there's Zion, bryce canyon, national parks or skiing in colorado maybe?? as some of the places to visit.

We plan on staying in cheap motels along the way and a friend recommended lazy lizard hostel in Moab as a must for the experience.

We are 26, open to buy camping tents, 0-10f sleeping bags if you recommend camping is a must for early morning views. ( I must add between the two of us,we have almost no exp. in camping, open to try anything though)

So I'm looking for some direction, path, recommendations along the way-- anything helps.
    Last edited by roastripper; 12-25-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Default I'll second that!

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by roastripper View Post
    .... a friend recommended lazy lizard hostel in Moab as a must for the experience.
    Although it is close on two decades since I stayed there, if it is still the same, it is an experience worth savouring.

Have a great trip.

Lifey

Default a difficult puzzle

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you don't have any experience camping, then trying to do it at the end of December, at high elevation no less, is a really bad idea. Beyond the issue of even finding campgrounds are open, trying to do extreme winter camping when you have no camping experience at all is a lot like trying to jump off the high dive before you've even tried to swim! Stick to motels, hostels, or other indoor options.

A bigger issue, however, is that you really don't have nearly enough time for the trip is seems like you're hoping for. Indianapolis to Moab is about 1500 miles - that's 3 days on the road just to safely cover the miles, and then it's another 1000 miles back do Dallas - so you're looking at spending a full 5 days of your 7 day trip just getting to and from Colorado/Utah - and that's assuming you see perfect weather. There is a pretty good chance that you'll see some snow or ice that will further delay your trip, which means you could very well have just a single day to explore anything.

Being that this trip is supposed to start tomorrow, I'm not sure exactly how you'd best fix it. Flying to Denver and just doing a loop trip from there - or possibly driving back to Dallas from there - would typically be my advice (that normally would likely be cheaper than what you've currently planned) - but trying to buy same day plane tickets on one of the busiest travel days of the year isn't likely to be easy or affordable.

As Michael pointed out, time is an issue. I know nothing of the Lay Lizard but if you can get in there then perhaps you would be best off staying a couple of nights and have some quality time around Moab (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse point etc ) to break the journey up and then break the journey up either side with some short stops at places of interest. Check the weather and road conditions before setting out and while on the road so you are forewarned of any potential delays. Do not fall into the trap of thinking you can drive safely for more than 550/600 miles with 2 of you rotating as you can't get good rest in a moving car and fatigue will set in and put you and those that share the road at risk. On line mapping programs time estimates are worked out by the speed limits and not human factors such as construction and congestion delays and the need for rest, food and bathroom breaks so either add 20% more time or figure on averaging 55-60mph over the course of a day with those things factored in.