Default By plane or drive Mammoth Lakes to Death,Monument Valleys,Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce?

First and foremost, Merry Christmas everyone!
    We came from Auckland to LA,left LAX to Mammoth Lakes and Mountain for some skiing as recommended by all Californians but now have to leave on Christmas Day itself due to lack of accommodation.
    We would like to go to Grand Cnyon, Zion, Bryce, Death and Monument Valley and Las Vegas.
    We are meant to meet friends for New Year's Eve in San Francisco to welcome in 2018. We head back home on the 3rd Jan 2018 for work on the 4th.
    We received many good suggestions to visit thèse National Monuments but it's all so confusing now!
    Please advise us, we are a family of 4, with all our luggage, suitcases and carry-ons.
    Should we rent a car from the ONLY Car Rental company in Mammoth Lakes based at the airport and drive to Death Valley or to the Grand canyon?
    Should we fly to Las Vegas and start from there?
    Are there direct non-stop flights out of Mamoth Lakes to Las Vegas? or Reno? Phoenix? where do we go from thèse places, thereafter? This si because everytime I try to find a flight, all indiates that we have to go back to LAX!!!
    If we have to do so, what then, rent a car from LAX where there are so many to choose from? then which direction, etc? Or fly to LV? Reno? San Diego? Santa Barbera? Phoeni?
    We have 7 days exact before having to arrive in SF and take our International flight out to go home.
    Please do advise us for all logistics of driving all the way or mixing both flights and driving.
    Thanks heaps

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, I'm very confused about your situation.

How did you get to Mammoth Lakes? Perhaps more importantly, how did you end up in a situation where you are there on Christmas Day, have to leave essentially immediately, and don't even have a plan for how you are going to get to your next destination?

Mammoth Lakes is a relatively tiny airport with very limited service. The only direct flights are to LA, San Francisco, or San Diego, so yes, it's very possible that any flight options are going to route you right back through LA. While you won't be able to get a direct flight to Vegas or anywhere else outside the state of California, I'm sure you could find something that does connect. Of course, you're talking about booking a flight on less than a days notice, in the middle of the busiest travel time of the year, so anything you find is going to be very expensive. I'm sure car rentals would be every bit as expensive too - especially if you're trying to rent one way, taking the car out of Mammoth in the middle of their peak season. In other words, there aren't many great options at this point, and all of them will be very expensive.