1. Default Central Jersey to Erie PA in 2 days

I want to take a road trip with my brother. But we both have only 2 days to spare. We live in Central NJ, I was thinking of driving across PA on I-80 and crashing for the night in Erie PA, at a nice hotel overlooking the lake and then driving back the next day.

Two questions. How crazy does this trip sound to you? How scenic/easy is the drive across I-80 from the Eastern end of PA to Erie?

Thanks.

If that's what you want to do, go for it!

Via I-287/I-78/PA-33/I-80/I-79 it's about 435 miles, will take you 7 to 8 hours. I-80 is an easy drive and quite scenic.

For a change in scenery, you may want to take a different route back - take I-86/NY-17 to Binghamton, I-81 to Scranton, I-380 to I-80 to PA-33. Another option is stay on I-86/NY-17 out of Binghamton to I-87 (NY Thruway) to either I-287 or the GSP. This shouldn't add more than an hour or so to the drive and it is also quite scenic.

3. Default A road trip for the sake of the road trip?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If that's what you want to do, go for it!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Still not sure if I should go through with it. It is like we are taking a road trip for the sake of the road trip. Driving all the way there and all the way back. On the one hand it sounds like fun but on other other it sounds like a lot of trouble for nothing.

Have you ever done anything like this before if you don't mind me asking?

I've certainly done many a roadtrip for the sake of a roadtrip. I will say that I don't know that I've picked a destination quite that far away, when I know that I'd have to turn around and come right back the next day. I could see where that becomes "a lot of trouble for nothing" because you don't really have time to see anything at your "destination" or even much time to stop during your drives. If you just want to enjoy long drives, that itself is fine, but you might want to pick someplace a bit closer if you want to have some time to explore both "there" and along the way. You could just hit the road and drive for a while and see where you end up, and stop/turn around whenever you feel like it/find someplace that strikes your interest.

You could just start heading in that general direction, and drive until you find a place you want to exp

Sure - I did stuff like this in my younger days. If you both like driving and feel like blowing a couple hundred bucks for gas and a hotel room, why not?

Default Head for the Horizon, just to see what's on the other side.

There are quite a lot of us who love going on a roadtrip just for the sake of the road, without any specific destination in mind. These often result in stumbling across something unknown and surprising. Depends of course, on how much time you allow to be able to stop when the mood or attraction strikes your fancy.

Lifey