1. Default 3-4 months road trip Montreal-Vancouver-USA west coast +

Hi all..I'm new here. I will be retiring in April 2019 and want to do a 3-4 months road trip east to west Canada, down USA West coast and mountains + all National parks as Zion Bryce Monument Death Valley Grand Canyon etc and finishing by going back north to Yellowstone.
    I will be traveling with my wife with a pickup and travel trailer. I have the pick up but not the trailer yet. Want to buy something medium size because we will spend few months in it. Maybe 25 to 28 ft.

My first question is I plan to start in August and end in November. I don't want to be in the death valley area in July..
    Is this a good period of time specially in the DV - Yosemite area in october for snow or frost for the RV water system?

When I travel I usually like to park my trailer at one place and visit around 3, 4 or 5 days within a few hours and come back to sleep at the campground.

Is that feasable in the Midwest parks area or are they too far away to come back each night at the trailer.

If so what place / area centralized do you suggest to visit a certain group of parks within a day from the camping.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I see at least one huge problem with your timeline. You mention you want to finish by "going back north to Yellowstone" but you don't plan to finish until November. Yellowstone is largely shut down and inaccessible to vehicles by mid-october. Even if you got there in early October, there is very little available for services and freezing conditions would almost certainly be an issue for your trailers water system.

I can understand summer in Death Valley being somewhat of a concern, but I don't understand why you would appear to be delaying the start of your trip until August because of that one park/one issue. Even if you started in July on a 3-4 month trip, if you're starting from Montreal, I wouldn't think you would get to DV until about halfway through your trip, which would still put you into September before you got there.

By the time you get into October, snow can be an issue any place with high elevation, and you can start to see closures at places like Yosemite - although they may only be short term closures at the start of the winter season.

Generally speaking, out west, there probably won't be a lot of places where you want to drop your trailer for 3-4 days and do trips out to other places, as things tend to be pretty spread out, although many of the parks themselves can be worth a few days of your time, so just planning to spend a few days at each places/parks you stop is still likely an option.

3. Default

your right...maybe I could do Yellowstone on my way to Vancouver going south from Regina and going back north thru Glacier National park.

How would be DV en september?

You can look at historical temperatures for Death valley in September but in all honesty it will have little to do with what it will actually be when you are there until you get an accurate forecast a few days before you arrive. We have been in November and it's been close to 100F but you could always set up your rig around Lone Pine and take a day trip (or2) through the park. I personally, like Michael, would be more concerned about the cold and possibility of snow in places like Yosemite, Yellowstone and even Bryce canyon which reaches elevations of over 9000ft. The Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP can close in October which is a highlight of the park so I would look at the bigger picture than basing dates around DV. We always recommend heading south down the coast to put the Ocean on your side of the road, but in this case where you will be travelling later into the year in mountainous area, there is quite a good case for considering reversing your trip so you visit the mountains first.

5. Default

but in this case where you will be travelling later into the year in mountainous area, there is quite a good case for considering reversing your trip so you visit the mountains first.
    It is a Good idea

Can we assume you are a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport? If so, you are allowed 182 days per year in the US and no ESTA is required. If not, you need to follow the standard immigration rules.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Can we assume you are a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport? If so, you are allowed 182 days per year in the US and no ESTA is required. If not, you need to follow the standard immigration rules.
    Yes I am a Canadian.