1. Default Hi folks I'm glad I found this Forum!!

My hubby and I are leaving from Gig Harbor, WA middle of November and traveling by car to Hilton Head SC.
    Do you think we could make it in 3 days? And what is the best route? From what I see it shows a diagonal route. I know I-90 stays pretty clear for the most part.

Default Absolutely not.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

To answer your question, no absolutely not ! This would be a very tough gig with 5 full days on the road and that would be under good conditions with no weather disruption. Even then it would be pushing the limits of safety and in all honesty you should be looking at a sixth day. Trying to drive 1000 miles in a day is extremely reckless, to try and do that 3 days on the trot is suicidal and will endanger lives of others that you share the road with.

This is a 5 day MINIMUM drive - more if you encounter bad weather. Under ideal conditions, take the following route:

WA-16/I-5/WA-18/I-90/I-29/I-435/I-70/I-64/I-57/I-24/I-75/I-16/I-95/US-278

And plan on the following overnights:

Butte MT
    Rapid City SD
    St. Joseph MO
    Clarksville TN

I would swap drivers at each rest/food/fuel stop. With normal stops, you are looking at 12 hours on the road each day, any more than that is just not safe. Definitely have a 6th and even a 7th day available just in case of bad weather. If you have a smartphone with Google Maps on it, use that to determine the best way through or around Atlanta. It should be either I-75 straight through the city or I-285 around the west side.

4. Default Not 3 Days...more like 4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

To answer your question, no absolutely not ! This would be a very tough gig with 5 full days on the road and that would be under good conditions with no weather disruption. Even then it would be pushing the limits of safety and in all honesty you should be looking at a sixth day. Trying to drive 1000 miles in a day is extremely reckless, to try and do that 3 days on the trot is suicidal and will endanger lives of others that you share the road with.
    Of course we don’t plan on being irresponsible or suicidal. We are used to traveling and we are planning on at least doing 4 -5 Days each way.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sage advice

Default Confused by the question.

OK that's good news although I am confused. If you are used to travelling and have already planned to take 4-5 days each way, why you would ask if you could do it in three ? :-) As has been said, this really is a minimum 5 day drive to keep safe by avoiding fatigue, 4 days is not enough.

Safe travels.

If you don't plan on being irresponsible then you will follow the above advice and take AT LEAST 5 days, and even that's if the weather cooperates. You should be planning for 5-6 days.

Doing this in 3 days like you originally asked would be homicidal, but attempting to do it in 4 days would still be extremely dangerous.