Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default January trip to Yuma from North Dakota

Any advice on route and road conditions especially from Oklahoma City and on.

Thanks very much.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing what kind of weather you'll see at some point in "January" - other than to say that any route you take will have a reasonably high chance of seeing snow or ice all the way until you get to Southern Arizona (of course, the weather could also be completely clear on your specific days of travel._ We also can't really tell you much about a suggested route, since "North Dakota" is a rather large target and a route from Fargo or Grand Forks would be completely different than say a route Minot or Dickinson. I will say at that time of year, sticking to Interstates as much as possible would be highly recommended.

Depending on where in ND this journey will require a minimum of 2 overnight stops and you should allow extra time for the risk of poor weather (in bad conditions it's just easier and safer to pull of the road and let it pass and leave the road crews to clean up before continuing) and if there is any sightseeing you may want to do. You really haven't given us much to go on in all honesty.

4. Default

Thanks very much for the tips, I will be travelling south on I29 and know what January travel is like on that stretch, my biggest concern is whether to head west on I40 from Oklahoma City to Armarillo and then south I27 to Big Springs and then i20 & I10 or from Oklahoma City I35 south to Fort Worth and I20 from there.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend either of those options. Both add a lot of extra miles - and that's on top of the extra miles it looks like you're already going to take. Guessing that you're starting somewhere around Fargo, a direct route to Yuma would be about 1800 miles - the upper limit of what could be done in 3 days - the routes you're talking about are all over 2300 miles, so you'll need a minimum of one extra day just to cover the miles, and if you see any bad weather at all, you're looking at 5 days to safely complete this trip.

It really looks like you're stumbling into one of the biggest myths of winter travel - that "going south" is the best approach. In fact, adding lots of extra miles hoping you'll see better weather that way often only increases your odds of having a problem - because every extra day you're on the road is an extra day you could see a winter storm and by adding miles, that's less time you have to wait for conditions to improve. Both of the routes you've talked about through Texas certainly see their share of snow and ice in winter - and the worst part about winter storms in that part of the country is that they are far less prepared to deal with them when they do hit, thus it usually takes longer for roads to get back into good condition.

So - can you be more specific where in ND?

7. Default

I am actually leaving out of Winnipeg and planned heading south through Grand forks and Fargo. I did want avoide any areas with big changes in altitude and ice. And thought that might be the flattest route. But I am open to suggestions that minimizes time spent travelling in cold weather.

The "flattest" all-Interstate route adds over 500 miles to the trip. This would take you through Kansas City, OKC, and Fort Worth - and will have tolls in Kansas. If that's what you want to do, fine - but no route is immune to weather and you need to be prepared to get off the road and wait for a storm to pass and the roads to be cleared.

9. Default

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess the weather at the time of traveling will diticate my route as we go.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyH View Post
    I am actually leaving out of Winnipeg and planned heading south through Grand forks and Fargo. I did want avoide any areas with big changes in altitude and ice. And thought that might be the flattest route. But I am open to suggestions that minimizes time spent travelling in cold weather.
    While the "flattest" route would be to add hundreds of miles and go south all the way to Dallas, that's hardly the best way to avoid ice. If anything, I'd say I-94/90 to I-15 to Vegas would be closest to what you asked for in regards to avoiding "big changes in altitude and ice." The highest point on I-90 is 6,200 feet, compared to 5,000 feet on I-10, and I-94/I-90 is far less likely to see ice than places like Oklahoma and Texas (including I-10). Yes, you're more likely to see cold on I-90/I-94, but that's not always a bad thing. Temps in the 30s can mean freezing rain and ice where colder temperatures mean snow or even too cold for significant snow!