1. Default Road trip - THE 1 WEEK GRAND CIRCLE ROAD TRIP

Hi all,

My friend and I are planning to take this "THE 1 WEEK GRAND CIRCLE ROAD TRIP" in December during the Christmas and New Year's week. I am new to United States and looking for advice whether it is advisable to take this roadtrip in Winter.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're going to have to be a little more specific about what it is you plan to do. Perhaps you saw "THE ONE WEEK GRAND CIRCLE" listed somewhere, but most people aren't going to know you're really talking about. For that matter, any place that's got a title for a roadtrip is kind of missing the point - if you're just following someone else plan, it's not really much of a roadtrip!

So what are you hoping to see and do?

I agree that you need to be more specific about your actual trip plan, but yes you can travel during December. The weather may have a major influence on what you may or may not be able to accomplish and you should be prepared for disruption and to be able to change things 'on the fly'. The smaller version of the 'Grand circle' which includes Zion, Bryce and the Grand canyon is the most you should be looking at for a one week trip. The GC North rim will be closed to traffic leaving to the South rim as your only option but that's not to say you won't see snow and ice there as it's still at elevation. Bryce canyon rim is around 9000ft in elevation at places and likely to see ice and possibly snow so you really need to keep an eye the weather, before setting out and during travel, then have a plan 'B' at hand in case of closures. A stop in Page which has nearby attractions, Monument valley, route 66 towns and Hoover dam are a few ideas you could include in such a loop.

4. Default

Thank you for responding. and sorry for being unclear.

I will be flying in Las Vegas on Dec 23rd. I haven't booked the flight tickets yet but we will rent a car from the airport for the rest of the trip. Spend a day there and leave for Bryce for the next day (24th). Explore Bryce National Park on 24th and 25th and then head out to Zion. Spend 26th and 27th in Zion National Park. Make our way to Las Vegas and see Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon National park in 3 days (28th, 29th, 30th, and 31st).

Looking for advice on how to split up the rest of our trip. Maybe add Monument Valley and Route 66 towns in the loop. Is it possible to add any other national park such as Capitol Reef or will it be too much for a week?

Can anyone recommend a suggested itinerary--how long we should plan to be at each park, and where we should stay/how long?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-05-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Deleted text copy and pasted 3 times

Default The loop.

I am not sure why you would go from Vegas to Bryce and then back to Vegas via Zion to go to the Grand canyon. A loop would work so much better like this; LV>Zion>Bryce>Monument valley>Grand canyon south rim>Hoover dam> Las Vegas.

Default Making the most of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    A loop would work so much better like this; LV>Zion>Bryce>Monument valley>Grand canyon south rim>Hoover dam> Las Vegas.
    That would also allow you to work places like Canyonland and/or Arches into the loop, depending on weather and road conditions of course.

Lifey

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I am not sure why you would go from Vegas to Bryce and then back to Vegas via Zion to go to the Grand canyon. A loop would work so much better like this; LV>Zion>Bryce>Monument valley>Grand canyon south rim>Hoover dam> Las Vegas.
    The reason why I was coming back is because couple of my other friends are meeting us in Vegas for the New Years. I wasn't sure if I do the loop that you just mentioned above would allow us to accommodate their plan. How many days would you suggest at each location?
    Maybe I can adjust the loop to meet my friends around the New Years in Vegas?

I would plan on at least a full day at each park with perhaps the exception of Bryce canyon which could be visited in half a day as all the main viewpoints are just a small walk from the car. However you can spend hours staring at the rock formations in Bryce Amphitheatre and have a nice stroll along the rim between Sunrise and sunset points. So personally I would spend 2 nights in or around Zion, one night at Bryce and 2 nights at the Grand canyon, but of course this can all be adjusted to suit your timeframe and where you would like to spend your time. For example if you left Vegas reasonably early and had that afternoon exploring Zion, you could stay one night and then explore until early afternoon and then head to Bryce canyon, stay the night and explore the following day before starting your journey towards the Grand canyon, perhaps stopping in Page AZ on route. I think you at the stage where you need to work on your itinerary to suit you and then, if you wish, post it up and we can offer little tweaks and alternatives to help you get the best out of it. There are many options and not just 'one size fits all' for any trip.

Quote Originally Posted by travelforlife View Post
    Make our way to Las Vegas and see Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon National park in 3 days (28th, 29th, 30th, and 31st).
    Quote Originally Posted by travelforlife View Post
    Maybe I can adjust the loop to meet my friends around the New Years in Vegas?
    I'm still confused about how this is an issue. Your original plan would have you getting to Vegas on the 28th, and "staying there" through New Years. If you just did a loop/circle, you'd just see Grand Canyon on the 28th and 29th and still end up back in Vegas on the 30th or 31st, in plenty of time for New Years.

In addition to the idea of going all the way back to Vegas on the 28th not making a lot of sense because it adds a lot of needless backtracking, it really isn't possible either. Grand Canyon is too far from Vegas to do it as a daytrip, so you'd still have to leave Vegas at least for a night or two to see GC, thus defeating your reason of going back to Vegas in the first place.