Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Start at the very beginning.....

Quote Originally Posted by heubergen View Post
    It's true that I enjoy seeing with Google Maps where I can drive through but actually drawing this lines is for me just the first part and it's only to determine through which states I'll drive and how long it takes me.
    Also, another priority for me was to avoid that I need to drive the same way twice.
    Here is a paragraph written some time ago, but which never loses its relevance. It may give you another way of looking at your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    If you are a member of AAA, which would be highly recommended on trips like this, you will be able to pick up maps of all States - free to members.

Lifey

I already thought about buying a hard copy map and I think now that I should buy one before getting more into the planning.
    Yes, go get yourself a Rand McNally atlas -- available at most Walmarts, bookstores, the RTA store, Amazon, and if you're a member of AAA, their store.

Donna

Default Which comes first.

It sounds as though you have to work out your main priority for the trip and go from there. Is ticking a list of States off your list more important than seeing the best of what's on offer ? I understand why people do it, but for me just being able to say I have been across a State line is of no importance to me, sometimes you blink and miss it ! I just want to see what appeals to me a lot, mark it up on a map and then create a route around those places of interest. Once you have done a little research and are more clear about what you want to do I am sure we can help piece it together.

4. Default

Okay, I ordered the atlas and I'm looking at the places I like to visit. I'll come up with a proposal later.

As mentioned above, joining AAA and focusing on a Southeast tour are prudent suggestions. AAA will give you maps of states (including major cities), maps of regions, a map of all of the USA, and of individual cities. AAA can also come to your rescue in the event of a flat tire, breakdown, running out of gas. You can also get some better hotel/motel deals as a AAA member (and other discounts as well on train tickets, etc.).

I separate my "states visited" lists into two categories, 1) drive through states and 2) pillow night states. I do NO include a state where my airplane may have landed or flown over! The richness of saying you have been in a state is the experiencing the richness the state. For example, Florida varies greatly between Key West, the northwest gulf beaches, St. Augustine and more. What is South Carolina without Charleston, Georgia without Savannah... the Georgian mountains. During 3 weeks you can also take in Washington, D.C., and all of its free museums and monuments.

Happy Trails!

P.S. Give Utah and Northern Arizona a chance! Breathtaking scenery. Watch some old John Ford movies (for example The Searchers) before you go. And to the north, Yellowstone in Wyoming, not just the eastern prairie land of eastern Wyoming (you'll see a lot of that in Kansas, Nebraska, and other states).

6. Default

I got the books and while I'm still looking for cool locations, I have now a list of a few things to start with that I like to see:
    Clinton IL
    Amana, IA
    York NE
    Bentonville AR
    Big Cedar OK
    Savannah, GA
    Fort Myers, FL
    Houston, TX
    Cherokee NC

Now my little "problem" is that I have a Christmas Party in Florida that I'm attending and where I probably gonna stay for some days. Also, I need to be in Georgia sometime in January (meeting a friend). Therefore I have about 8 travel days before Christmas and about 11 after it.

Does anybody have good suggestions how I should to it? Probably first the east coast and then texas etc. but then I would need to come back for Georgia.

7. Default

I should probably forget Georgia in January and just take the rest of the plan.