1. Default Suggestion for Winter Roadtrip

My wife and me want to spent about 2-3 weeks on a roadtrip in December. We havent seen the Grand Canyon yet so we thought about Las Vegas then drive to LA and/or San Diego. Does anybody like to help me an come up with a route suggestion starting or ending up at the Grand Canyon? Also: Could you think of doing this in a motorhome rental? Does this makes sense as........winter is coming ;-)
    Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You could certainly do a 2-3 week roadtrip in December, and make the Grand Canyon one of your stops. The real question is what else do you want to see. You could spend some time around the National Parks in Utah. You could spend more time in Arizona, you could explore more of California - be it San Diego and LA, or maybe also looking at San Francisco, the Coast, and places like Yosemite and Sequoia. Whatever you decide, It probably makes sense to do a full loop, starting and ending in the same place to save money on both airfare and car rental.

I will say that a motorhome probably isn't a good choice for this trip, because of the time of year. The Grand Canyon is at around 7,000 feet (the South Rim is the only side open in December) so it will be quite cold there, with a good chance of freezing temperatures so you would have to make sure the RV was winterized - which means no using water for the kitchen or bathroom. That of course, it could make it uncomfortably cold to sleep in the RV too. Also, if you are thinking of spending a lot of time in cities, like LA and San Diego, you might find an RV cumbersome anyway.

3. Default

Hi Michael, so maybe :Start in LV; visit Death Valley and Grand Canyon, then head towards Phoenix. From there to San Diego, later LA and then back to LV. What could you recommend to stop and see in Arizona, San Diego and LA?

Welcome to RTA!

As it happens, there is a forum all about things to see and do in San Diego, Click here for any number of awesome things in my county.

In the Los Angeles area, there is even more to see and do. There are about 5 or 6 major theme parks -- Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags, Universal Studios, and a few others. Want a museum? There are a couple of hundred. Want some shopping? You could spend a week in the Garment District, outlet centers, and specialty stores that call LA "home". Got Hollywood fever? See the famous sign, Graumann's Chinese Theater, the Walk of Fame, the Kodak Theater, visit a number of movie and TV studios that have tours (Warner Bros, NBC, and more), go visit a couple of places where TV shows and movies were filmed, catch a concert or perfomance at the Bowl. Want a beach? There are plenty. Want a free beach? There are a couple. Want to go down a pier or a boardwalk? Try Venice Beach or the Santa Monica Pier. Just want to go to a park? Griffith Park has golf, a few museums, several playgrounds, a train park, an observatory, picnic areas. (It also has some unsavory places. Keep your wits about you.) Want to see an old-fashioned McDonald's and order food as a walk up? Go to Downey.

Donna

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Duke2017 View Post
    My wife and me want to spent about 2-3 weeks on a roadtrip in December. We havent seen the Grand Canyon yet so we thought about Las Vegas then drive to LA and/or San Diego. Does anybody like to help me an come up with a route suggestion starting or ending up at the Grand Canyon? Also: Could you think of doing this in a motorhome rental? Does this makes sense as........winter is coming ;-)
    Thanks for any help.
    My suggestion would be to plan to spend at least 3 days at the Grand Canyon. My wife and I were there in March of this year, and we only spent 2 days, and wished we had more time! And Utah was amazing. My favorite state so far. You should spend some time visiting the National Parks there too.