1. Default First Family Road trip Planning Recommendation Help

Hello,

I would like to plan a road trip for my family of 5 for Spring or Summer of 2018. We have a total of 7 days. I have 8, 11, and 17 years old children. We are starting from Lake Forest California and thinking of going towards the Pacific Northwest. I have no idea how far can we go with the time we have. Have no idea what states and City we are going to pass by. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Heading north.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

That's not a lot of time to get all the way up to the PNW as by Interstate it would be a full 2 day drive each direction and there are so many things to see an do. If you wanted to see Olympic NP you could easily use up your other 3 days there sight seeing but I don't think driving for longer than you are seeing will be a lot of fun for the Kids. You can however head towards it. I would look at Lassen Volcanic NP and Crater lake as possible goals and then head to the coast and visit the Redwoods etc and save the PNW for when you have more time. It's possible to continue to Portland via the Historic Columbia river Gorge but you will have to do a little research and study the maps and decide how much time you are prepared to spend in a vehicle against time out in nature exploring things.

3. Default

Wow, I have no idea that the driving is very long. What can you recommend for our 7 days time? Maybe just heading to San Francisco? You are right, driving for a very long time is not fun for the kids. Thank you for your suggestions. It was very helpful!

Each trip is an individual choice and that's what makes it fun, making it your own adventure. It's not clear whether or not you are a 'local' but as you mention heading to San Fran, perhaps not ? If you are not familiar with places closer to your start point then you could make a wonderful family adventure by heading to the Sierra Nevada and visiting Sequoia and Yosemite NP's before heading to the coast and San Fran and then explore parts of the coast heading south. (This way round will put the ocean on your side of the road.) If you were to consider this, or other mountain regions, I would recommend late Spring/early summer as snow melt and Spring conditions can come late at high elevation.

Default Good maps will show you what there is.

Quote Originally Posted by tenet123 View Post
    I Have no idea what states and City we are going to pass by. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    You would do well to get hold of some good detailed maps of the area, such as those producedx by AAA or Rand McNally. If these are not available locally, and since the trip is still months off, you could order a Rand McNally atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. It will give you the BIG pictured of the land through which you will be passing, the towns and cities, the many, many routes from which to choose. It will also show you the lay of the land and the national parks, historical sites and other places of interest.

All of your children are old enough to have some input into this trip. Get them to study the maps and pick out the highlights to fit in with their interests. The more they have invested in the trip, the more memorable it will be for them.

Lifey