Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How to Mark-up Paper Road Atlas

My wife and I are planning to do some traveling/roadtripping this coming spring, and I am trying to plan out a few destinations on my 2017 Rand McNally Large Scale Road Atlas.

But I have a question... what is the best way to mark up the atlas with destinations, coordinates, etc... I am finding it hard to see the marks that I have already made even when I circle things and write things in. Right now I have a separate piece of paper shoved into individual pages (like a bookmark) in the atlas that has my writing on it so that it actually stands out. But I doubt all the pieces of paper will stay where they are supposed to.

Any thoughts or tips? What are you all doing to mark up your atlas? I just enjoy using the paper maps!

-Born2Explore

Default Post-it notes will do it.

Welcome to the Great American Roadxtrip Forum.

See you already have made a few contributions to other threads. They will surely be appreciated by members - thanks!

As for marking up the road atlas, I find post-it notes, the tiny ones, the most effective. I highlight routes in the atlas with a highlighter and have found that a good bright green stands out best on the pages. Other colours seem to get 'lost' among the features of the maps.

Lifey

3. Default

Thanks for the tip! So the post-it notes don't fall off easily?

Another way is a wee bit more expensive -- removable colored highlighter tape. I use this tape in my classroom a bit often to highlight words, but it works for marking up atlases too.

Donna

5. Default

Never heard of highlighter tape, but that could be good too! Can you write notes on top of the tape, or would the tape just be for highlighting routes?

It's narrow, so there wouldn't be room for notes. If you're highlighting routes, just use a highlighter marker. The tape would be to highlight places. I wouldn't use the tape for marking routes, because it is a bit pricey (which the link should show you).

I had never heard of it until a couple of years ago, when I inherited a set of Big Books (primary school) that had words highlighted with this stuff. Our local Staples and Office Depots didn't carry the tape, but Amazon does (like everything else). Now I use it for my classroom.

Donna

7. Default

Smart! Thanks! I think I will pick some up and check it out!

Default Marking paper atlases

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Explore View Post
    Smart! Thanks! I think I will pick some up and check it out!
    I use post it page markers that are colored but you can see through them and also write on them. They stick pretty good.

9. Default

Old habits die hard, but I do it the military way. I pull out the pages I'm going to use, have them laminated at Staples, and use micro-tipped erasable markers. I keep multiple pages together by hole punching the corner of each sheet and putting all the sheets on a split ring. It's great for the initial stages of planning, or if you find that your plans tend to change on the fly.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    Old habits die hard, but I do it the military way. I pull out the pages I'm going to use, have them laminated at Staples, and use micro-tipped erasable markers. I keep multiple pages together by hole punching the corner of each sheet and putting all the sheets on a split ring. It's great for the initial stages of planning, or if you find that your plans tend to change on the fly.
    That is seriously an awesome idea. Especially since our plans/routes usually change on the fly! Thanks!