Default Relocating family from Northern Indiana to Seattle area.

Hi Everyone!

I currently live in Culver Indiana and plan on relocating to Puyallup Washington to help with a family business.

I don't have an exact date yet, as I am working out the housing aspect of it but it should be some time in October/November. It will be the wife and I and our four children ages 11, 9, 7 and 3.

It seems I-90 is the best route but I'm curious as to conditions near mountains. Are there any dangerous passes or things of that nature? I've been to the Seattle area a few times but I have always flown, so I have no Idea what the drive is like. What are some good things to see along the way? I won't have any time constraints outside of how long I want to pay Uhaul for a trailer. With it being the kids' first real road trip, I figure at least a week minimum. I can't see making the youngest, or any of them for that matter, sit in the car for 12 hours. So I expect it to take some time.

Any advice or idea is welcome!

Thanks!!

Welcome to RTA!

Yes, I-90 is the easiest northern cross country route.

What I would do is try to stay as far away from Chicago as you can. Head down to US-24 and take that to I-55 in IL. Take that south to I-74 and take that through Peoria to I-80. Take that to I-680 to I-29 to I-90.

Yes, I-90 goes through mountains, but the average elevation is lower than I-80. You will have to cross Snoqualmie Pass. Take WA-18 to get to Puyallup.

Without a trailer and trying to make time this is a minimum 4 day drive, so I think I'd take a whole week.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Yes, I-90 is the easiest northern cross country route.

What I would do is try to stay as far away from Chicago as you can. Head down to US-24 and take that to I-55 in IL. Take that south to I-74 and take that through Peoria to I-80. Take that to I-680 to I-29 to I-90.

Yes, I-90 goes through mountains, but the average elevation is lower than I-80. You will have to cross Snoqualmie Pass. Take WA-18 to get to Puyallup.

Without a trailer and trying to make time this is a minimum 4 day drive, so I think I'd take a whole week.
    Thanks for the reply glc...

I was born and raised in Chicago and I was dreading having to go through it to get out west. That traffic is no joke! Great idea to take I-24 to I-55, thank you! I will definitely be doing that.

I can understand trying to avoid Chicago traffic, but going all the way down to I-74 adds about 70 miles to the trip, and much of that is on 2 lane roads. I certainly wouldn't do that, especially while towing. I could see taking I-80 all the way through Illinois, rather than trying to get through Chicago on I-90, I-294, or even I-355, and while I-80 certainly can see it's share of traffic, especially around Gary, I'd take the chance of getting delayed by some traffic over the sure thing of adding more than an hour to your drive.

What do you plan on using for a vehicle for this trip? I can't think of a lot of vehicles that can fit 6 people, and have power left over to tow a trailer. Remember, having a car fully loaded with people does reduce the amount of weight you can tow.

Michael has a good point -- many cars/vans don't have the strength to pull a U-Haul trailer *and* handle people at the same time! What you could think about -- rent a U-Haul truck, and you drive it, and have the wife take your personal vehicle. Kids can swap around the two vehicles so that they won't get on each other's nerves all the time. If you wanted to stop someplace to see something, you could park the U-Haul truck in a safe place, and all of you take the personal vehicle to go sight-see. Usually, U-Haul gives you a week from pick-up to drop-off (that includes loading and unloading) for a truck, as does Penske.

Donna

Thanks for the replies Michael and Donna!

I didn't make the move yet, some things fell through and it looks like we will be moving in Summer of 2018 instead. We are going to visit for a week though, leaving this Tuesday
    and planning on getting to the Seattle area Friday or Saturday.

When we actually move, I will rent a U-Haul or Penske. We have a 2012 Chevy Traverse. I'm sure a big trailer would beat the crap out of it with all six of us in the vehicle. Its a 6cyl and if I'm being honest with myself, not much of a tow vehicle.