Hybrid View

1. Default Planning a roadtrip to America...

Hello,

Next year (between April and May) me and my wife are planning to do a roadtrip in America...

We値l only staying for 13 days...
    We値l start in San Francisco, stay for a few days and then go to Yosemite National Park...
    Before we head to Los Angeles we would like to spend a day in a town near the pacific coast.
    Any recommendations?
    We will also visit Vegas, Page, Grand Canyon south rim and skywalk and finish in Phoenix.
    In our journey between Grand Canyon and Phoenix we would like to stop somewhere and stay for one night. Any cool places?

Thanks for the help.

Do you guys think this plan is to ambicious?

Regards,
    Nuno Hub

Default Do a loop and forget Skywalk.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The Skywalk is a long way from the south rim (in journey time) and is not part of the National park and as such you may end up disappointed with the experience. The Skywalk is more of a tourist trap with higher prices and you will not find anywhere near the spectacular views you would experience by simply spending more time in the National park. Between the Grand canyon and Phoenix you have 'Red rock' country around Sedona which is certainly worth checking out. However if you are not tied to anything already I would reconsider your options and do a loop trip and start and finish in the same city and forget Phoenix. You can find the cheapest flight deals and use that city as the start point, which seems to be LA at present. You will also avoid the possibility of a surcharge on your rental car for dropping it off in a different city. For example you could go from LA to Grand canyon and to Page AZ. You would then being going close to Zion NP as you make your way to Vegas. From Vegas you would head to Yosemite with the option of visiting Sequoia NP before heading to the coast and back south to LA. During April and most likely the first half of May the high ground will be off limits due to winter snow accumulation but you can still have a great time in and round the valley. You just have to consider this when routing as the Tioga Pass (CA120) that crosses the park will possibly be closed, sometimes not opening until early June.

Default More of the Same Sort of Advice

I agree wholeheartedly with Dave, and I think that you'll find that most of the 'regulars' here do also. It is easy to get carried away with trying to do everything on your first trip to a new area and spend so much time running from place to place that you miss the essential reason for travel, to experience something new. If all you're doing is spending time and money getting to places, how is that different from your normal daily grind? Instead. plan to stay several days in a few locations and enjoy those areas in depth and at a slower pace.

I'd suggest San Francisco, Yosemite, the Flagstaff area, and maybe a couple of days in Las Vegas. Return to San Francisco to keep your flights simple round-trips or 'returns', and to keep your car rental costs down. To drive that complete loop, you'd need three to four days, leaving you at least eight full days to spread out amongst your stops.

While in San Francisco, you can cross the Golden Gate Bridge to Point Reyes National Seashore or head just a bit south to beach parks such as Mussel Rock or Mori Point. You can get a good taste of the Sierra Nevada and the high deserts by leaving Yosemite to the east across Tioga Pass on CA-120 and then taking US-6/NV-264/NV-266/US-95 to Las Vegas. Flagstaff would serves as your home base for seeing the Grand Canyon, but it also has much more including several worthwhile national monuments and access to Oak Creek Canyon running south of town to Sedona. Finally, your return to San Francisco would take you past Mojave National Preserve, through the Central Valley and with one last chance to visit the coast near Monterey.

Trying to include Los Angeles and Phoenix just seems like a waste of time end effort unless there's something particularly compelling you to visit those sprawling metropolises.

AZBuck

You can get a good taste of the Sierra Nevada and the high deserts by leaving Yosemite to the east across Tioga Pass on CA-120 and then taking US-6/NV-264/NV-266/US-95 to Las Vegas
    I think Buck has missed the fact you plan to travel April/May time, although if you mean you deciding whether to travel in April or May, I would make it late May and there will be a chance the Tioga Pass will be open.

5. Default

I will definitely skip skywalk (thanks for the tip)
    Doing the loop is a good ideia but with the tioga pass closed it will be difficulty to return to San Francisco or LA (wherever I choose to start my roadtrip).

Its not a big problem if the Pass is closed. You would just go south around the mountains via Bakersfield between Yosemite and Vegas. There are 2 other great National parks between the two with slight detours, Death valley and Sequoia NP. If Page wasn't a 'must see' for you then LA>GC>LV>Death valley>Sequoia>Yosemite>SF>LA would make a nice trip with the time you have.