Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10k miles road trip

first thing , im French Canadian so dont look my grammar and spelling to much pls :P .

Ok , im planning a 10miles road trip for summer 2018 ill post my route bellow , im asking myself if 1 month is enough for all the miles i want to do . Last year i did a 6.6k miles road trip in 2 weeks and saw pretty much all what i want to see but idk , this is a pretty big road trip and im doing it solo like last time did ppl here already did a 10k miles road trip in a short period of time ? Plus last time it was in late november early december this time i think it will be around august/september so it will be really hot at some places i want to travel .... !!!

Thx and feel free to give me advices/tips !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to RTA!

My husband and I have done a few trips like you're contemplating, but usually with 6-8 weeks to travel. Oh, sure, you can drive 10,000 miles in 4 weeks, but that's averaging 2500 miles a week, which equates to about 360 miles every day.

What you might do is start laying out this trip day to day. Don't let yourself travel more than 500-550 miles in one day, and not several days in a row, as that is exhausting. Allow yourself time to actually see something besides what you can see through the windshield. Since you are planning the Dakotas, Yellowstone, and Canada into Banff, Jasper, and southern British Columbia, I would travel in a counter (anti) clockwise direction, doing the northern regions first. Yellowstone is usually pretty well closed up to vehicular traffic by early-to-mid October, for instance. It will give the south time to cool down, but honestly, that's hurricane season.

Once you start seeing the day-to-day plan, you might see that it will behoove you to either plan less of a trip or try to get more time to do the trip. My husband and I use the simple rule of an average of 1500 miles per week, so if we decide to be gone 6 weeks, we can go about 9000 miles round trip.

Donna

Default More time or fewer miles!

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

The time I did 6.4K miles in 4 weeks, was pretty exhausting, and left me very little time to stop and smell the roses, take meaningful photos and learn something about the country through which I was travelling..

The many long trips I have enjoyed through the US and Canada since have usually been more than 20K miles. Looking at it now, I see that they mostly averaged around 1K miles per week, a pace which gave me time to see all I wanted to and enjoy the drives through the many different environments I encountered. I found it to be a great pace, with lots of time to get to know folk along the way, as well as learn some of the history and geography of the places through which I travelled without being exhausted.

Your trip may be feasible, but all you will be able to do at the end is say you have been there without really having enjoyed and experienced the attractions along the way. How many days will you schedule for the Grand Canyon? Yellowstone?These are not places you just drive through. Nothing short of a couple of days at least three or four days would do Yellowston NP justice. Neither will you have time to engage with the folk who live in all the towns through which you pass, and learn/experience some of their lifestyle.

Travelling is educational, if you allow it to be so. All you will be able to do is tick places off your list, without having absorbed the atmosphere the locals have to offer.

Is it physically possible? Probably. If you don't veer off the interstates. You could rush through all those places, but from my point of view it would be a waste of money and time.

Lifey

4. Default

Yeah since im from Quebec Canada i will start counter clock clockwise and i already went to detroit/chicago etc , so from Montreal Canada to Yellowstone there is not much on my planning list to see (tell me if there is something nice to visit) and i was planning mostly to see yellowstone/Banff/Washington redwood/west coast sea/Grand canyon i got a friend in Houston so i would like to see him and New orleans . The way up to canada from the east coast i did that trip last year like i said my 6.6.kmiles so beside buffalo there is nothing i didnt really saw .... but yeah i get what you are saying i dont whant to burn me from driving too much and damage my car too .... thats why im here asking for tips !! Thx !!!

It's essentially impossible to damage your car from driving too much - cars are designed to be driven. Having said that, humans do have limits for how much they can drive - and in that sense, I you could damage your car - or someone elses car - from crashing due to fatigue. That's a huge portion of the reason we strongly recommend you not plan to drive more than about 550 miles on any single day, as Donnas had previously mentioned.

Could you cover the amount of miles you've listed in a month - I suppose you could, but to say that you will have "seen" any of the places you'll be driving past or through would be a stretch. When you have to drive on average 7 hours a day, every day for a month, to get to every place you've listed, it just doesn't leave any time to actually enjoy anything or experience anything, beyond a car window.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-23-2017 at 07:37 PM.

If you get an atlas for US/Canada (Rand McNally makes a nice one, as do a number of other companies), or visit CAA (if you're a member) and take advantage of some of their services, you'll open to the maps and see that there's a whole lot to see between Quebec and Yellowstone besides Detroit and Chicago. For instance, in South Dakota there is the Badlands National Park, plus the Black Hills area which would include several scenic highways in Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Park, and the area's best known attraction, Mount Rushmore. A little further up the road (US-212) is Devil's Tower National Monument. Then a little further from there is the site of Custer's Last Stand, the Little Bighorn National Battlefield. If you take US-212 from Billings into Yellowstone, through Red Lodge, you can drive the beautiful Beartooth Highway. Yellowstone is worth AT LEAST 3 days, probably 4. It's slow going -- lots of construction. Inquire locally about whether the Beartooth is open, as it can close at a moment's notice because of weather.

Those are just a few of the highlights west of the Mississippi River toward Yellowstone. I could have outlined a whole bunch of things east of the River, too. A good map, set of maps, or atlas will help you see these things MUCH better than an electronic mapping program ever could.

Donna

Default Be prepared.

The Beartooth Highway is a stunning drive. Not to be driven in a few hours. It is the best part of a day, especially if you stop to admire the views which are breathtaking around every bend. Spend some time at the summit and visit the Top of the World Store - a real experience. If it is still run by the gent who was there when I went through, you will learn a lot about the place and the highway. Worth making time for.

What would you do if you have a schedule to arrive at a your destination, and you see - as I did once - a sight in Yellowstone which is so rare you can't tear yourself away from it. Would you continue on or spend the hours there to really experience something very few people ever have or will?

Be sure you build enough flexibility into each leg of your trip, so you do not need to pass up truly unique experiences - seeing a new born moose suckling; watching a lynx stalking its prey; seeing a mother moose teach her off-spring what to eat. These are some of the sights I have been privileged to, but you won't find them on the interstates. and if you are lucky enough for such an experience would you pass it up for lack of time?. Or would you drive so fast that you will be two miles up the road before you realise what you passed by. Last year I came across a bunch of people who were watching two grizzly cubs at play. An opportunity for some fantastic photos, and ninety minutes added to the day's trip.

Solo! so you can stop and stay when and where and for how long you want. Make the most of it.

Lifey

Default Goals for the trip ?

I agree with what has already been said. Could you cover the miles ? Yep. Can you make it a relaxing road trip where you have time to stop and smell the roses and create many great memories ? Nope. So it depends on what you want, a challenge or an escape from the "every day". Personally I have found that to make each and every day enjoyable, in one way or another, I average no more than 1800 miles per week and that becomes pretty hectic, but I like to get off Interstate and not to miss much along the way, as there are so many great places between the 'main attractions' and it's often these places and experiences where you find those magical moments that create memories that last forever.

9. Default

thank you very much for replying to me ! its helping me alots with the planning and yeah i tracked all the time i would be on the road with all the miles i have to do in each days ... it scared me a liltle haha like Lifemagician said , i want to have extra time for what ever could happen and no btw im not schedule nothing so i cant get ''late'' to some places i want to go . I did a new map and i think ill stick with that one and thanks for the mont rushmore i didnt knew it was on my path and for the Yellowstone i will drive the Bearthoot Highway ill stay there for 2-3 days same for Banff . On the new map i did i makred the places i want to see the most and the bigger its marked the longer ill stay ! Thx everyone ! Again sorry for the grammar :P
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't see why you are driving through Chicago and up into Wisconsin and Minneapolis, then going back south. It would be much better just to stay on I-80 through Illinois and Iowa, then take I-29 to I-90. This avoids a lot of traffic and tolls.

If you want to go to Minneapolis for some reason, consider staying in Canada to Thunder Bay, then go south from there into the US.