Thread: Nyc, nc,

Hybrid View

Default Nyc, nc,

I would love me some suggestions for my road trip with my relatives from Europe. We are starting in NYC and destination NASHVILLE. W are 5 adults and have 13 days to explore. And suggestions?

Thank you

Default More Questions Than Answers at This Point

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off, while we would like nothing better than to tell you our favorite sites/stops along such a route, the fact remains that those would be our favorite stops, not yours or the other four people you'll be traveling with. It is a truism oft repeated here that there are no universal lists of 'The Best', only the attractions that would most appeal to you. So before diving in to try to help you, let's start with a few questions so that we get a better idea of what you're looking for:

What types of activities are you and your friends interested in: Historic? Scenic? Arts & Crafts? Botanical? Nature and Wildlife? Museums? etc....

Are you all more interested in urban or rural settings?

What is your preferred level of activity?

Is this a one way or round trip?

Does the 13 day window include significant time in either New York or Nashville or are those just airport locations?

Those will do for starters and to show you a bit of what goes into our thinking when we reply to advice seekers. It's not just an off-the-rack list.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.

We would like to see historical cities as well as beaches and some amusement parks.

- - - Updated - - -

We are going to fly home from TN

Default With a Little Zig Here and a Little Zag There...

I would dare say that nowhere else could you find the following proposed itinerary that should cover all your stated desires while still staying well within your time constraints. This is mainly due to the fact that the route needed to accomplish it would under no circumstances be described as "direct".

After you finish up in New York City which itself has many historic sites, especially in lower Manhattan, head down the New Jersey Turnpike to Philadelphia and Independence Mall, Elfreth's Alley, and the USS Olympia for starters. Then take I-95 to Wilmington and US-13/DE-1 down to the Delmarva coast for some beach time at Cape Henlopen, Delaware Seashore, Assateague Island, and Chincoteague Island. You can even make a quick stop at a NASA launch site. Next, continue south to Cape Charles VA and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel over to Virginia Beach and Norfolk.

At this point you're going to backtrack a bit. First to Virginia's Historic Triangle which includes Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown. It is also home to a major amusement park, Busch Gardens. When you're done there, take US-17/US-301/MD-5 up the Washington DC area. Using this route lets you avoid I-95 and would also take you by the first of several Presidential homes near your route, Mount Vernon. You might also want to include a visit to the historic, quaint and eminently walkable city of Annapolis, home to the US Naval Academy. In DC itself, there are more monuments, notable buildings, and museums than you can shake a stick at. Most of them are along the National Mall.

From Washington, you should head west on I-66 to Front Royal and explore Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway a bit. While doing that you can also make a short side trip or three to see some other Presidential homes including Ash Lawn-Highland, Montpelier and Monticello. While you haven't stated a particular interest in natural beauty, I would suggest taking the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Asheville, seeing the Biltmore Estate, and then crossing the Appalachians through Great Smoky Mountains National Park, before finishing up your drive to Nashville and the last of you possible Presidential homes, the Hermitage.

One other thing is worth noting as you plan. If you intend to visit four or more national parks or monuments that charge admission, you should probably plan on getting an annual pass at the first one you come to. The pass will be good for admission for your car and everyone in it to all national (but not state) parks that you visit.

AZBuck

Thank you so much for your help. Is there a way to map it out here and print it out?

If your trip is happening soon, you may have some choices. If you are a member of your country's major road/travel club, it may have a reciprocal agreement with the AAA here in the US. Find one of their local branches when you get here, and go in for some free maps. If not, go into a bookstore or Walmart when you get here, and buy a Rand McNally atlas. Then stop at the various state information centers, and collect their state map (which is usually more detailed than the Rand McNally and may show different things than the AAA map).

If your trip is for summer 2018, you have time to order an atlas from the RTA Map Store. Just scroll down for the link.

Donna

Default Map Center will do that and more

Quote Originally Posted by Itzjustgeri View Post
    Thank you so much for your help. Is there a way to map it out here and print it out?
    Yes, the RTA Custom Map program was created for that very reason. The print options were specifically built to accommodate these kinds of requests.

If you read the #1 post in this thread -- there are some tips for creating such a map that you can then print.

Mark