1. Default 1st Time USA visitor need help in planning a 45 days tour

Greetings to Forum members:

I along with my family plan to visit USA between mid-MAY to end-June 2018 starting from Chicago. Plan to arrive in Chicago where our hosts (another couple) will join for a USA trip to important places. We are in the age group of 55-75.

Love to travel by road, train as much possible. include air travel where it make sense.
    Look forward to receiving trip advises.

RAM

Default A starting point.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It appears that you are in the very early stages of planning your trip so the best advice I can give is that you get a good map of the USA and start identifying your "important places" and mark them out. You can search the RTA forums and road trip planning pages for ideas and inspiration and the Map centre will help you create routes and find places of interest. Then you need to work out your budget and how getting to these places will best work for you. Doing multiple one way car rentals split up by train rides and airfares could become expensive and inconvenient. I would actually look at the idea of doing a single car rental and driving a loop trip in and out of Chicago, you certainly have enough time to get anywhere in the USA ! If you intend on staying in one place for a few days (or more) then you could look at a house rental accommodation where you can make yourselves more 'at home' than you will in a Hotel room. Other than that I can't think of anything else at the moment and it's too soon to offer advice on places to visit and routes to take as the options would run into tens of thousands with the amount of time you have available.

Enjoy the planning and as you continue with it and more specific questions come up, just ask here in this thread.

3. Default Thanks for the Advice.

Thank you for your advice.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-22-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Removed quote.