Hybrid View

1. Default Roadtrip (New York - Bostons - Niagara Falls)

Dear respected forum members,

Greetings!

I am planning my first trip in US, landing at New York JFK on 15 March 2018. Planning to head straight to Bostons, staying at Bostons for a night and then from Bostons to Niagara Falls.

1. What is the best mode of transport from New York to Boston? Train or self drive?

2. From Boston to Niagara Falls, it'll be long drive. Any recommendations on a safe mid way stop for a night rest? Is there any must visit places? Or is it advisable to stay in Bostons for 2 nights and hit straight to Niagara Falls?

Thank you in advance for all inputs!

Cheers!
    Kingsley

Default The Missing Pieces

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In order to give you the best advice on transportation modes, we would need a couple of bits of information that you haven't given us: How long you'll be in the US and where you'll be departing from. But....

Assuming you're just going to land in New York and leave immediately, then return to New York for your return flight, I would think your best bet would be to hire a car for the entire journey. It is possible to do this loop by train, but then you're pretty much limiting yourself to what's available using public transport (subways/busses/taxis) in the three cities on your itinerary, there's so much more to see and do in between. Even with that said, however, I would also suggest that you just find a place to park the car while you're in New York and Boston. Both cities have heavy traffic, can be difficult to navigate (especially Boston), and parking can be both difficult to find and expensive.

A few other points worth noting: I would not recommend trying to drive too far on the day of your arrival. Plane travel can be enervating and most flights arriving from Europe (an assumption on my part) arrive as evening is falling even as your body is telling you it's early morning! Instead, plan on driving only far enough east on Long Island to get out of the worst of New York City Traffic, say around Levittown/Farmingdale. Get a good night's sleep and then continue on the next morning to Orient Point at the far northeastern end of Long Island and take the ferry to New London CT and proceed to Boston from there. That will save you driving all the way through the worst of New York City traffic and the highly urbanized southeastern Connecticut coast.

Also, look into setting up your car hire through a European consolidator such as Europcar or Autoeurope. They can often get you a much better deal than you can get on your own.

AZBuck

Default Addendum

It's possible to drive from Boston to Niagara Falls in a day; the same is true of Niagara Falls to New York City. But then you'd have to skip everything in between. Obviously if you want to make any sight-seeing stops, you'll have to make an overnight stop as well. Good choices on the two legs would have you looking for someplace roughly mid-way, with enough lodging choices for there to be some competition for your business, and with an attraction or two of their own: say Canajoharie NY, which is on the old Erie Canal and just south of Adirondack State Park, between Boston and Niagara Falls; and Elmira NY, which is home to the National Soaring Museum and (more or less) in the Finger Lakes region, on the drive from Niagara Falls to New York City.

Also, if you plan to cross over to the more scenic Canadian side of Niagara Falls, be sure to tell the car hire firm before and when you pick up the car. They will then give you (or just put in the glove compartment) a proof of Canadian insurance card.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-09-2017 at 05:29 PM.