Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How safe is a solo drive?

Next summer, I am considering a solo drive from Oklahoma City to Dodge City, and on to Fort Laramie. How safe is it to drive that route alone?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Solo roadtrips can be perfectly safe and are done by thousands of people every day.

What questions and concerns do you have that would make you think otherwise?

As long as there is an overnight stop involved then it will be as safe as any other drive.

4. Default

Thank you very much for the reassuring feedback, folks. I am a foreigner and I guess I have just watched too many Hollywood dramas for my own good! Actually, I am planning a month-long solo road trip to visit major Native American sites on the Great Plains - from Tulsa to Tahquelah, Lawton, Oklahoma City, Dodge City, Forts Laramie & Robinson, the Pine Ridge / Black Hills Area, Rapid City, Little Bighorn & Rosebud, and on to the Yellowstone National Park. It seems to be about 3000 miles.
    This newby would love any advice or tips from you veteran road trippers!

What sort of advice are you looking for ? If you have any specific questions or concerns or just want help with your itinerary just ask in this thread. As an overseas visitor presumably you will be renting a vehicle, costs can be eased by shopping around on-line and consider doing a loop trip ending back where you started which will save one way drop off charges and possibly cheaper flights.

Is your interest in Native Americans limited only to the Great Plains? You might consider also looking at some of the many interesting sites of the Southwestern tribes in the Four Corners region, with several parks like Mesa Verde highlighting the unique culture of that area.

As Dave mentioned, it will probably be worthwhile to consider doing a loop, so something like that might not end up being too far out of your way, either.

I'll be a bit more specific: is your interest in the Plains tribes academic, or more along the lines of tourism? And are you looking to visit historic sites, such as Medicine Wheel and the Little Bighorn battlefield, or will you be visiting Lakota and other communities on the reservations (you specifically mentioned Rosebud)? If the latter, do you know anyone in those communities? It's beautiful country; at least, it can be, but, with a few notable exceptions, most reservation towns, in most parts of the U.S., aren't all that welcoming to casual visitors. The reservations are essentially private property, and most areas off the main roads are restricted. Technically, each reservation is a sovereign nation, with their own rules, regulations, and code of conduct. As an example: photography, especially of people, their children, and their homes, is generally prohibited without a permit (and permission). But perhaps you already know all that? I'm not trying to discourage you--just making sure your plans are properly grounded.

Rick

8. Default

Thank you so much for the feedback, folks. Michael, I did visit several tribes in Arizona & New Mexico a few years ago, and this time I thought I would focus on the Great Plains.
    Rick, my interest is both academic and touristic. I have been deeply interested in the history and culture of the major Native American Nations for many years - and, now that I am retired, I have the time to indulge my passion a bit. However, you are quite right - I would really love to find a Native American guide, really knowledgeable in their heritage, to accompany me through the Pine Ridge and Tahquelah areas. I really do want to gain more than just a tourist's insight.
    On the road trip, specifically, I have never undertaken a 3000 mile solo road trip in the US (or in any other country, come to think of it!), and would really appreciate any tips on safety or other aspects of such a trip. I am especially wondering about the long ride right across Kansas!

I'm still not sure what kind of safety concerns you have - particularly about the "long ride across Kansas."

We'd love to help, but you still haven't told us what questions or issues you have about safety, so it's hard to give you tips that might ease your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahirisoman View Post
    On the road trip, specifically, I have never undertaken a 3000 mile solo road trip in the US (or in any other country, come to think of it!), and would really appreciate any tips on safety or other aspects of such a trip. I am especially wondering about the long ride right across Kansas!
    As a senior solo roadtripper, I have undertaken trips of over 20000 miles without issue. The same instinct which keeps you safe at home, will keep you safe wherever you travel. If something does not feel good, move on.

Why would a long drive across Kansas worry you. It is a wide open road through agricultural country. You will be driving a rental car, a relatively new vehicle. so won't have to worry about breakdowns.

People all over the plains are just like your next door neighbour. They will respond to you, the way you present yourself.

Make sure that you check out the hotel room before you pay. Check not only for cleanliness, but that the smoke detector has not been disabled, and that the door has a lock which can not be opened from the outside - such as a chain lock.

Lifey