Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New York to New Orleans road trip for two Aussies

Hi all.
    This is my first post and thank you for accepting me into your community. I am from Sydney Australia and my wife and I will be leaving New York on April 5th next year and arriving in New Orleans on April 17th. Twelve days driving with a two day three night stop in Washington DC on the way. My question is, we would like to visit places with history (Civil war) and want to stay in small towns if possible and keeping off the freeways. Would like at least three of those nights in a unique Bed and Breakfast just like the home in the movies Father of the Bride or Gone With the Wind. Have been to the USA three times before and want to see the real America (South East). We spent three days in Big Bear Lake while driving between Los Angles and Vegas and loved it. Any advice on the best route would be gratefully appreciated

Default From one Aussie to another.

Hi Ron, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The first thing which jumped out at me is your stop in DC. Like NYC, DC is not a place where you will want a car. Parking is expensive, and limited. You could spend half your sightseeing time looking for a parking spot. On the other hand, public transport is efficient.

I'd suggrest that you take the commuter train from NYC to DC, and hire your car when you are about to leave on your road trip. Take your NRMA membership with you, as it will give you access to tourism information from the AAA, wherever you travel. Do you have some GOOD maps of the US, especially the east. Good maps have so much detail and show you all the small towns, the myriad of routes from which you could choose and all the historical sites, as well as nature. Scenic routes are highlighted on all maps.

If you cannot get some good ones in Sydney, I suggest you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas (there is none better) from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now you will have it in a couple of weeks. You are going to need good maps when on the road, so you may as well have them while planning your trip.

Might see you on the road. I will be in the eastern States at that time as well.

Lifey

Default Thnaks Lifey

Good advice about DC. Only concern is what is between NY and DC was thinking about stopping in Philadelphia and doing a Rocky at the Museum of Art otherwise might just drive on through. Car hire is expensive one way

Default Missing information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron X View Post
    Only concern is what is between NY and DC was thinking about stopping in Philadelphia and doing a Rocky at the Museum of Art .......
    Ron, the answer is a heck of a lot of traffic! The train stops in Philly, and you could get a multi city ticket. Actually Philadelphia is similar to the other two cities when it comes to parking, though I am not sure about their public transport. Taxies are quite good though.

Car hire is expensive one way
    Will you be making a loop trip down to New Orleans? Where will your departure point be?

It really helps when we have the full picture of the trip from start to end,, to make recommendations relevant.

Edit: I doubt that the one way fee would be all that much if you returned the car to NYC. But b y using one of the consolidators, you may even be able to get that waived. Keithg from Brisbane has some good infor on that.

Lifey

Default NY to NO

Lifey
    spending five days in New York on sixth day picking up car for twelve day drive to New Orleans and drop off car one way only. Not sure if I should give the city's a miss a stick to smaller towns. Thanks again
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-22-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Removed Broken Quote

Hi. Will be one way. Might be better to get a train from New York to DC and pick up the car when leaving DC.

Lonely Planet puts out a book specifically about Civil War road trips. It's "Civil War Trail: Road Trips". Includes a driving map!

Donna

Thanks Donna just ordered two books. Will have to watch The Civil War on Netflix before I go

There is a good chance that taking the train at least as far as DC, and picking up a car there could make more sense. You still could take the train to Philly, explore that fine city, and then continue on the train to DC. I suppose you could also look at renting a car after exploring Philly, as well, especially if Gettysburg is one of the civil war sites you want to see, and then deal with having the car in DC.

A few of the other favorite civil war sites I've visited include Appomattox Court House in Virginia (where Gen. Lee Surrendered, there is also a large civil war museum nearby), Andersonville Prison in Georgia (POW camp), and the Vicksburg Battlefield in Mississippi.

The scenic highways of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace are also drives you might consider taking.

As far as cities vs. small towns, you can certainly look at doing a mix of both. As is my standard reminder anytime someone says they are looking for "the real America," I've yet to find the "fake America." Small towns aren't any more "real" than big cities, it's all part of what is America.

Default Gettysburg to New Orleans in early April.

Hi All
    (I have reposted from fall winter road trips)
    Planning a road trip from Gettysburg to New Orleans by way of Blue Ridge Park Way taking ten days.
    Gettysburg to Asheville three days
    Asheville to Nashville one day.
    Nashville to Memphis one day.
    Memphis one full day two nights.
    Memphis to New Orleans four days.
    My questions are is ten days a reasonable amount of time as I would like to avoid freeways as much as possible?
    I will be coming from Australia and will be hiring a car should I hire a electronic toll pass for $3.50 per day plus tolls or just use quarters to pay when needed?
    I have been looking at RTA road trip routes for inspiration especially between Memphis and New Orleans.
    Will be asking more questions later when I lock in dates on towns to stop in as want to keep out of large cities as much as I can and see or even stay in a plantation house along the Mississippi.
    Thanks for your help

Ron and Anne

Please keep all posts about the same trip in the same thread. - Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 11-04-2017 at 03:13 PM.