1. Default Niagara Falls to Central NJ

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I do it correctly. My friend and I will be driving directly to Niagara Falls and would like to make the return trip a road trip. I'm looking for ideas for two females in their mid twenties for the best stops along the way- were interested in hiking, sight seeing, and food/drink (aka the best bars). We had some ideas of somewhere in upstate NY, Boston, Rhode Island, but aren't sure about any specifics so have some lee way. We have about a week to complete the trip back. Any suggestions on a route or cities to stop in/places to go to or see along the way would be greatly appreciated. We'll also be looking for a good time specifically on the Fourth of July - and aren't sure where we should aim to be for that.

Thank you in advance!!

Default For Your Perusal

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Two major recommendations. First: If you're going to Niagara Falls, then if at all possible, bring your passports so that you can cross over to the Canadian side where some of the best views are as well as access to the tunnels behind the falls (drilled as part of the power project. Note that it's already too late to try to apply for passports if you don't already have them in hand.

Second: If you're going to loop back all the way through upstate New York and New England on your way home, then I'd suggest that you have at least four days to a week for just that part of it. To give you an idea of the myriad of possibilities, I suggest that you read through these discussions: Niagara Falls to Boston, and New England.

Bars and restaurants are fairly ubiquitous, and as for the best place to see a Fourth of July celebration, I'd suggest checking out whatever small town(s) you happen to be in. Many smaller rural New England towns have parades during the day (often closing major through highways, so be prepared) and evening fireworks displays. Keep an eye out for flyers in the local convenience stores/supermarkets/gas stations. One place you might want to look dint beforehand is Plymouth VT and the Coolidge Homestead. That entire town has been preserved mush as it was in the early 1920s and may have a special old-fashioned display for the Fourth.

AZBuck