Default peoria Ill to Las vegas nv

My son is driving from Peoria IL to Las Vegas in an old truck. He really needs to take the flattest route. He is planning to have 2 drivers and is telling me he can make it in 2 days. I don't think this is a good idea, any thoughts? I really need him and his old truck to be safe. It has been over 9 years since I moved to Las Vegas!It took me a lot longer, but I drove from New York.Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by kitty1957; 01-27-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Default Right to be concerned.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You are absolutely right, there is no way can this trip be done safely in less than 3 full days on the road, breaking the journey into equal segments so that they don't push hard on the first day when fresh and then start to crash the following day. (With fatigue 'crash' has a double meaning) They have to recognise that this is a marathon and not a sprint and if they don't treat it as such they are endangering themselves and those that share the road with them. With this time frame they will need to stick to Interstate and take a direct approach, although if it's a really old truck they may want to avoid I-70 and take either I-80 or I-44/40 as an alternative..

I'd take I-155/I-55/I-44/I-40/US-93. Even 3 days is pushing it, that's almost 1800 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You are absolutely right, there is no way can this trip be done safely in less than 3 full days on the road, breaking the journey into equal segments so that they don't push hard on the first day when fresh and then start to crash the following day. (With fatigue 'crash' has a double meaning) They have to recognise that this is a marathon and not a sprint and if they don't treat it as such they are endangering themselves and those that share the road with them. With this time frame they will need to stick to Interstate and take a direct approach, although if it's a really old truck they may want to avoid I-70 and take either I-80 or I-44/40 as an alternative..
    Thank you so much! Do I have your ok to quote you to my son?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I'd take I-155/I-55/I-44/I-40/US-93. Even 3 days is pushing it, that's almost 1800 miles.
    Thank you for this... copying them to send him ( but I think I will change the 3 days to 4 days)

Default We Concur

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We don't think it's a good idea either. Even by the shortest all-Interstate route, Peoria to Las Vegas would take three full days of driving with a well maintained, trustworthy, and sufficiently powered car. With an 'old truck' that 'needs to take the flattest route' four days would be more like it, either because it will have trouble climbing the Rockies on the shortest route or because they will have to make a significant detour.

I suspect that your son is looking at on-line or computer-based mapping routines that are telling him that he can make the drive in roughly 24 hours, and he's thinking in terms of two 12-hour days split between him and his friend. First of all the 24 hour number is pure fantasy. As with all computer travel time estimates, it assumes that they can drive at or above the speed limit for every minute of every hour they're on the road. It does not include ANY time for stops, even the most basic food/fuel/bathroom breaks. It does not include ANY time for traffic or construction delays. It does not include ANY time for the inevitable drop in speed as they climb the Great Plains (most likely into a head wind) or the Front Range of the Rockies. A far better estimate of the average speed for the drive, from the time they get in the truck in the morning until they get out of it at the end, is about 550 miles in a ten hour period. That means a minimum of 30 hours 'on the road', and again that's before you factor in the mountains and an 'old truck'.

The other major error in your son's thinking is that having two drivers will make a material difference in their ability to make this drive in less than a normal amount of time. The fact is that the physiology of the human body says otherwise and the law recognizes this. Fatigue is an insidious incapacitator. Study after study has shown that driving tired is as bad as driving drunk. What's worse is that by the time a driver thinks he's too tired to drive, he's already been too tired to drive safely for quite some time. Professional long-haul drivers are prohibited by law from spending more than ten hours a day driving, and ANY time spent sitting in the cab counts against that ten hour limit. The boys may not be subject to the same law, but there bodies are certainly subject to the same fatigue inducing monotony of a long drive. Stops for fresh air and exercise become far more critical on a long drive and experiences on one day hauls locally simply do not apply, especially on the second and subsequent days.

So, if they really need to keep the truck on level ground, they're going to have to go south to avoid the steepest grades across the Rockies. That means heading down to I-40 using I-55 and I-44 to Oklahoma City and then US-93 from Kingman AZ to Las Vegas, adding another 160 miles to their drive. Even that leaves them crossing the Ozarks and making the slow climb to around 8,000 feet in northern Arizona. As I noted at the beginning, this drive (if it's to be done safely) requires at least three days and a fourth would be recommended.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-27-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typos

Hi again. I see you figured out how to post a thread.

Our advice is always allowed to be shared, so please feel free to show this to your son and his friends. I agree, though -- in an old truck, FOUR days. Of course, "old" is relative. I have a 19 year old Ford that is considered "old", but it's in beautiful shape and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere. But I've seen similar 1999 Fords that are awful and I would not trust those trucks at all. It's all in how the truck has been maintained, taken care of.

FOUR days is recommended, if he takes the suggested I-55/I-44/I-40/US-93 route suggested. As a side note, my husband had to come from mid-MO in a U-Haul, 6 years ago, and he took a version of that (I-70/I-35/I-40/I-15) with similar mileage. He did it in four days and was glad he did. He was slow going up one or two of the grades into ABQ and then into Flagstaff (both on I-40).

Donna

Thank you so much! Do I have your ok to quote you to my son?
    Absolutely. We have all be 'Young and indestructible', or so we thought but statistics do not lie and fatigue is a big killer on the roads today.

Thank you for this... copying them to send him ( but I think I will change the 3 days to 4 days)
    As said, 3 days is a bare minimum and it's wise to allow for another day. You could also mention that this would give them at least a little time to relax and actually enjoy the ride rather it being a work like slog day after day.

yes , I did figure it out...lol Thank you so much! I will let him know.....Haven't seen him in over ten years, want him here safe and sound! So happy I found this site...everyone is so helpful!!

AZBuck
    Thank you for your reply! I am going to have a very long talk with him! I am sure once he understands... he will adjust his thinking, and plan on @ least 4 days!