Default Maryland to Denver - Next week

I am leaving next Wednesday for Denver from Maryland. Goal is to be in Denver by 10am on Friday. So I am leaving about Noon on Wedesday. I'm not one for flying, and very much enjoy the road. I won't be doing sightseeing until I reach my destination, just a straight shot to Denver.

Suggestions on places/cities to stay overnight on the way out? Specific route (though 70 seems to be the best shot)? Travel times? etc.

Thanks, Team.

Default 3 full days worth.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Figure on 55 to 57mph being an average speed you can maintain with a full day on the road which allows for food, rest breaks, to fill up with gas and every day construction and congestion delays. Ideally you should try and get on the road before noon as this trip is ideally suite to three days of around 10 hours per day on the road. If you got as far as the Indianapolis area on day one you could aim for Topeka KS and into Denver so you are already in the city for your 10am deadline without having to battle the morning rush. If you cant leave earlier then maybe Columbus OH, Concordia MO and Limon CO with a short run into Denver.

Default Find more time or find another mode of transit

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, but on your timeline, you simply can not safely make this trip by car.

At nearly 1700 mile drive, you need a minimum of 3 days to safely complete this trip. Safety laws forbid professional drivers from completing this trip without at least 2 overnight stops, because attempting to complete it in any less time would make you every bit as dangerous as someone who is driving while drunk.

If you need to be in Denver by 10am on Friday, you need to leave Tuesday morning. The farthest you should try to get on day 1 is Indianapolis and Topeka on day 2.

Default My bad.

Michael's absolutely right, as I also mentioned it's a full 3 days of driving, unfortunately I lost a day somehow in my calculations. It's been a long day. DOH !

Default Seriously

Your drive will take a full three days, as Dave noted. There is simply no way that it's even remotely possible to complete it in the less than two days that you are proposing. Note that what you are contemplating would require a daily average of 850 miles. Compare that to the Federal limit on professional long-haul drivers of 600 miles a day. Are you really claiming that you're 50% better than the pros? Are you that sure that scientific studies of the affects of fatigue don't apply to you? Or do you just not care?

AZBuck

Thanks for the input and insight.

Not claiming to be better than Professional drivers, but I have done more than 600 miles before (Maryland to Atlanta) in one shot. and I respect your input as I guess I just hadn't thought though those particulars at this moment.

Do you thnk I could do a 2-day haul to Omaha (~1200 miles)? by Thursday night? then delay Denver arrival until mid afternoon on Friday?

First of all, driving 650-700 miles on a one day trip is quite different than driving 650-700 miles and then still having another 1000 miles to get to your destination. It's very much the difference between a marathon and a sprint.

Yes, you could leave Wednesday morning (not around Noon), and take 2 full days to get to Omaha (which is a bit out of the way) and get to Denver on Friday - but I wouldn't expect your arrival to be mid-afternoon. Omaha is still nearly 550 miles away from Denver and thus another full day (9-10 hours) on the road Friday.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-18-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Is there a possibility of leaving on Tuesday evening and getting 2 or 3 hours under your belt to get a head start on Wednesday ?

Thinking Tuesday night now. Was going to work morning of Wednesday so may either bail on that or work in the evening to stay up to date. I mentioned Omaha because I debated driving a big chunk of the trip and then catching a train or a quick flight, but prefer the road or at least train to the skies.

In this instance the train would probably take as long as driving (3 full days), so flying is the only practical option on a compressed schedule.

Last summer I drove a Denver airport to Kansas City leg of 600 miles. Takes a little out of ya. Not advised to drive those kinds of days back-to-back much less 3 straight days. That stretch from KC to Denver is also very boring so it takes extra work to remain attentive.

My standard routing to St. Louis is I-70 from Maryland, branching off to I-68 to Morgantown, WV and then north on I-79 towards Pittsburgh, rejoining I-70. You might want to drive to the west side of Indianapolis on the first day or maybe stay east a couple of hours. The trick of the road plan is avoiding rush hours around major cities--beltways back-ups take more out of you than an extra hour of driving.