1. Default Colorado road trip (with eclipse detour)

Hi all, great forum, hope you can help even though my questions are probably going to sound a bit vague. We (mid-age couple) are travelling from the UK in August to see the eclipse and take in the Colorado Rockies. Our start and end dates are fixed by a combination of flight prices and my sister's wedding to 17th August - 3rd Sept (Denver airport); Eclipse date couldn't be changed unfortunately ;-). I've booked a motel in Casper, WO, for the eclipse (20/21 Aug) itself and made a tentative booking in Boulder for 18/19. First question is whether that is enough time for Boulder & RMNP or should we aim to come back? Trouble is there's lots more to fit in...

So, starting in Casper on the 22nd we have just under 2 weeks to get to Denver via as many of the following as is practical, without feeling too rushed; we certainly aren't in the box-ticking category, and would like the chance to do some walking (moderate day/half day hiking) and at least one rafting trip.

• Dinosaur Nat Park (bit of a detour but love the idea of seeing the fossils in situ)
    • CO Nat Monument
    • Gunnison Gorge
    • Million Dollar Highway
    • Durango
    • Mesa Verde
    • Sand Dunes
    • Pikes Peak/CO Springs
    • Salida (for rafting?)
    • Top of the Rockies road
    • Denver
    • (possibly return to RMNP)

Opinions on what to miss/add, how long to allow for each, would be great. We're both used to long drives in the US (did coast to coast in 1990 and loved it).

Many thanks in advance

Iain

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Estes Park would be a better base for seeing RMNP as it's closer to the park and would give you more time to visit rather than driving back and forth. Much depends on what pace you like to travel at but I would consider going from Colorado NM to Moab and check out Arches and Canyonlands and then to Mesa Verde, Durango and up the Million dollar Highway. You could then drive US50 through Currecanti Nat Rec area and over the Continental divide at Monarch Pass to Salida and then drop down to Sand Dunes and then to Pikes Peak via Garden of the Gods and Manitou Springs.

3. Default

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply!

I had originally considered Arches, as it is iconic, but thought it might be one stop too many, I'm already wondering if I'm going to end up with only half a day in some of these places (but perhaps that's enough?). Do you think it sensible to try and get all this into 13 days?

Usually, the best thing to do when you are trying to figure out if you have enough time is to sketch things out day by day. That will really give you the best idea of how much time you actually have in each place, and then help you decide if you have time to add more stops, or if you need to start trimming things out.

Arches doesn't add much in terms of distance, so that shouldn't be an issue, but it is harder to say if you could fit it in, while keeping at a pace you'd find enjoyable.