1. Default Great american Eclipse road trip

Hi all... new to this site and hoping you could all help. We are planning a road trip this summer to Kentucky. We are in Northern NJ just outside of NYC (maywood,nj)
    The eclipse is 6 months from today, august 21 and we would like to be in Kentucky for this.
    We have about 5 -6 days total. We will be staying close to the Land between the lakes so we will be exploring that. I thought we might also take a quick trip to nasheville if time permits.
    Suggestions on must see along the way? We woyld be leaving nj Thursday evening amd returning on tuesday( the eclipse is monday)
    Thank you for any suggestions you may have
    Oh its 2 adults and 3 kids ages 10,13 and 15

Default Making the Most of Your Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

By the most direct route, it's a full two day drive between Maywood and Land Between the Lakes. So you simply cannot "return on Tuesday". At best, with only five days you'd have just enough time to drive there, spend a day viewing the eclipse and seeing local sights, and then drive pretty much directly home. With six days, you'd have time to spend an 'extra' day on one leg so you could either take a different route or see some things on the direct route with your spare day. But you'll have to make sure that you have two full days for the drive home. If the eclipse is early enough on Monday (and I mean done and you on the road by 9:00 or 10:00 AM), then your time frame could work. But if the eclipse is any later in the day, you'll need to plan on not being back in Maywood until some time Wednesday.

The most direct route would just be I-78 to I-81 through Harrisburg to I-70/I-68 through Western Maryland, then I-79 to Charleston WV and I-64 west into Kentucky. At Lexington you'd switch over to the Blue Grass Parkway, a short jog south on I-65 and then the Western Kentucky Parkway to the northern end of Land Between the Lakes. If you wanted to take that same route both ways, and it's certainly a scenic route, then on the leg for which you had more time you could consider stops at Fort Frederick State Park and or the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park both of which are near Big Pool MD, Carter Caves State Resort Park in Kentucky, or even Mammoth Cave National Park.

If you'd rather spend your additional time taking a slightly longer RoadTrip by way of a different route, then I'd suggest that you look at staying on I-81 south from Maryland and perhaps use Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Asheville NC area, cross through Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and use I-40 through eastern Tennessee and I-24 between Nashville and Land Between the Lakes.

AZBuck