1. Default Yellowstone road trip 2017

Afternoon all,

Just wanted to run our itinerary by you all to see if there is anything we could/should change or any more ideas to add to it.

June 1st Fly from Las Vegas to Bozeman, pick up car and head south to West Yellowstone for 2 Nights
    June 2nd, Head out exploring, down to West Thumb and back taking in Old Faithful and the various other Geyser's etc
    June 3rd Leave West Yellowstone early and head up to Mammoth Hot Springs, across to Tower Junction and then on into Cooke City for our 3rd Nights accomodation
    June 4th Leave Cooke city early and head up Beartooth Pass and back down again, then back into Yellowstone but this time heading south at Tower Junction and various stop offs at Grand canyon, Yellowstone lake etc before checking into Jackson lake lodge for our 4th Night
    June 5th Head south to Jackson hole for our last night, hoping to do some Hiking, Horseriding, Kayaking in or around the Grand Tetons/Jackson area
    June 6th Salt lake city for our flight back to Vegas

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Regards Andy

Default Beautiful place.

Hi and welcome back to RTA !

Make sure you pack layered clothing as June is a month where you can experience anything from snow and ice to warm sunny days and possibly both. The park is really only just opening fully for the season but can be a great time to visit. You may find it's cheaper to fly in and out of either SLC or Bozeman and not have the dreaded one way rental fee for your car added. There are also some cabins at Canyon village which are reasonable value for the area, from where you can walk to the canyon rim. Could be a possibility of night 4. Once at Yellowstone I would leave your daily itinerary open to change depending on weather and timing etc as it's a big park with a lot to see and do. We went to a couple of popular spots in the day and the car parks were full, we just moved on and returned again either early morning or late in the day, it seemed to work for popular spots like Old Faithful and Mammoth springs.

Everything looks ok, except June 4th. I don't think you'll have time to go over Beartooth and back, and then make it down to Jackson, and have time to stop at the Canyon and Lake all in the same day.

Just doing the Beartooth and Back will be about 5 hours and Cooke City to the Tetons is another 3-4 hours. You might want to fit some of that into earlier days or find a place within Yellowstone to spend that night.

Default A better plan?

Flying into and out of Bozeman, would allow you to drive the Beartooth Highway either on your way into the park, or out of the park. The detour which that would involve, makes a lot more sense than just driving up to the pass, and back again - missing out on the drive between Red Lodge and the Pass. Together with the saving of flying into and out of the same city, and avoiding the one way drop charge on the rental car, it would make for a better plan.

Lifey

5. Default

Morning and thanks for the replies, very helpful.

We originally planned to stay at Canyon Lodge and have 6 nights in total to break up the journey from Cooke city to Jackson but at the moment its showing no availability, the car hire is booked for 6 nights but with free changes to the booking to make it 5 if we cant stay that extra night, we haven't booked the flight back yet from SLC so a few things are still possible,

Even thought about the lake hotel at Yellowstone but that is full as well :-(

Our flight doesn't arrive into Bozeman till 18.51 so not practical to drive the pass at that time(booked with allegiant air as that was the only direct route)

Regards Andy

That first night you're better off staying in Bozeman. By the time you get everything and pick up your car, it will be dinner time. You could head out early next morning and head to Red Lodge. Follow that into Yellowstone to wherever you have your lodging booked for the second night. With sightseeing stops along the way, it will probably take you most of the day, just to make that trip.

When I came in through that entrance, I came upon a parking area which was overflowing, and there was obviously something there. So I too parked and went to see. It was a moose which had just given birth, and her calf had just got up and was suckling. It was an hour or more before I could tear myself away from that sight. You don't know what you may stumble upon that will engage you for longer than planned.

Lifey

Noting your flight arrival time, I'd agree that spending the night in Bozeman might be your best bet. Even if everything goes smoothly, It's going to be a good 8 pm by the time you're on the road, meaning you'll be well after dark by the time you're getting to West Yellowstone. Also remember that Allegiant flights are more likely to be delayed, because if there is something that needs to be fixed, they won't just switch you to a different plane, you'll have to wait.

If I were you I think I'd spend that first night either in Bozeman, or start heading east on I-90, so you can head over Beartooth in the morning. At that point, just skip the night in Cooke City, and spend all of your Yellowstone nights in West Yellowstone.

8. Default

Thanks Everyone, makes sense to me so will change some accommodation round as its free cancellation and report back with a revised itinerary

cheers