1. Default Need Help With Vegas/CA itinerary

Hi! We are a family of 4 with 2 teens (17 yr old boy and 14 yr old girl) trying to plan our summer vacation. We were thinking of the following:
    Day 1- Fly into vegas
    Day 2- Vegas
    Day3- San Diego
    Day 4- San Diego
    Day 5-7- LA area
    Day 8- Home

It is cheaper for us to fly to/from LAX or Vegas than San Diego. We are open to a loop trip and extending this by a day or 2. Alternatively, we are not married to the San Diego portion. We are open to adding another part of CA maybe going North but not all the way to San Francisco. Any suggestions or insight appreciated. TIA
    Last edited by Lynn H; 10-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Welcome to RTA!

If you're not married to the idea of Vegas, you might want to take up the option to fly in/out of LAX. Frankly, there isn't a whole lot for teenagers to do in Las Vegas unless you're taking them to see some of the sights around LV.

Don't discount San Diego as a destination. I live in the county, and can tell you that you could spend a week here and not see everything. Our Zoo and Safari Park are among the best in the world, we have loads of historical places, we have a Sea World marine park as well as a good aquarium (Scripps). A few years back, I did a thread on what's to see in San Diego. My hubby and I have lived here for more than 30 years, so we're "practically natives".

You can get from LAX to San Diego in 2-3 hours (depending on traffic) after departing the airport and getting through any rigmarole you need to go through including the car rental. (Las Vegas to San Diego is about 5-6 hours in good traffic.) I speak from experience, that if your trip would call for driving from Las Vegas to LAX on a Sunday, re-plan it, the traffic is horrible! It's a parking lot!

3. Default

Thank you. My husband wants Vegas but I could possibly get him to give that up.

Are you only interested in City's ? California has some beautiful National parks that you could explore. If you flew into Vegas you could drive across Death valley and then head to Yosemite on the spectacular Tioga Pass and then have a number of options. Finish in San Francisco, head to the coast and down PCH to LA, or head to Sequoia NP for the giant tree's and back to LV. It depends on your interests, which you haven't really mentioned, unless it is the City's themselves.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Are you only interested in City's ? California has some beautiful National parks that you could explore. If you flew into Vegas you could drive across Death valley and then head to Yosemite on the spectacular Tioga Pass and then have a number of options. Finish in San Francisco, head to the coast and down PCH to LA, or head to Sequoia NP for the giant tree's and back to LV. It depends on your interests, which you haven't really mentioned, unless it is the City's themselves.

Good point! We are not typically outdoorsy. And while I love love love the beach, my family does not. We do like cities and not too much downtime. My daughter really wants to go to Hollywood, Universal, Studio tour etc... My son being 17, isn't contributing much to the conversation at all. Forgive my ignorance but where is Sequoia NP?

We are also considering San Fran to LA or vice versa with a couple of short stops along the way. I just don't want to be yelling at my kids during the drive down the PCH to look out the window instead of at their phones or sleeping which is how I see that playing out!

Default Get the Kid's interested.

I just don't want to be yelling at my kids during the drive down the PCH to look out the window instead of at their phones or sleeping which is how I see that playing out!
    Why not get them to do some research and help plan the trip. If they have a vested interest in the trip it could make it more fun for everyone.

Sequoia NP is south of Yosemite and Kings Canyon NPs. Have a good look at your maps or road atlas and you will see it martked in there, as well as all the other attractions along the way. Sequoia can only be entered from the west and south. You cannot drive through the park towards Death Valley.

In SF the teenagers are likely to be interested in a tour of Alcatraz. The night tour especially is interesting.

Be aware that the trip between SF and LA along the Pacific Coast Highway is a two day trip. The preference is to go from north to south so that all the pull outs and view points are on your side of the road. That way you do not have to cross over oncoming traffic each time you pull into and out off the view points. Hearst Castle may also be something to interest you. Book tours well beforehand.

Dave mentioned one good way of getting the teenagers interested in the trip. Another is to decide to make a book of the trip (quite cheaply done these days through various websites). Decide before you leave that the best photos will go into the book. They might want to look out for good spots to take photos, of scenery and other attractions along the way.

Lifey