1. Default I-40 or I-70 in bether shape?

On our way east coast from New Mexico via I-40 which seems to be the roughest we've ever seem it in 20+ years of making this trip. Does anyone know if I-70 is in better shape at this time from Pennsylvania to Kansas? We've already thrown one wheel weight and have a front vibration now. OKC was the worst, but east Arkansas and now even west Tennessee are rough also. Thanks for any help you can give!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Honestly, that's the kind of question that's virtually impossible to answer. You're talking about thousands of miles of roads, that are all maintained by dozens of different agencies. Then on top of it, "rough" is a very subjective term and road conditions are always changing, and there is always construction in different areas.

My advice, If you really thought I-40 was that bad, then you might as well try a different route, that's the only real way you'll know.

Welcome to RTA!

To add to what Michael said, road construction always affects a road. What I considered "rough" the last time I was on I-70, could have been fixed by now.

Reality of the road: just when you think you're on a smooth stretch of road, you change counties and it gets rough. Then it changes again when you change counties again. This is true of both interstates and US highways. Within municipal areas, from experience -- I can drive from the city I live into, onto roads maintained by the city of San Diego, and go from smooth to rough.

Donna

I observed both Kansas and Indiana being subpar, not only the highway but also the medians and shoulders. South Carolina I-95 has gone third world with weeds taking over the shoulders where theoretically one would pull over in the event of vehicle trouble.

I-70 Missouri, Illinois and Ohio were all fine this past summer and last October.

I will concur with landmariner: I-70 in Missouri was fine this past summer. However, it is one of the busiest corridors for commercial trucks, between KC and STL. There is major construction in the city of Columbia. When we were there, westbound was actually detoured off the freeway onto an off and on ramp pair at one point, between exit 128A and exit 124.

Donna

Default I-40

Having just completed virtually the complete length of I-40 from CA TO NC, I'm not too sure what you regard as rough.

I had a great run.... with the cruise set on 65 the whole way, unless slower speeds were required. The right lane was fine.

Lifey