1. Default Orlando to Washington via Charleston and Colonial Williamsburg

Good Morning everyone (from a snotty Auckland, NZ i.e. wet windy and spitting)

Firstly to everyone on the East Coast of the US - our thoughts and prayers are with you - we hope the Hurricane Matthew decides to change path !!

To a more mundane question, we are a couple of middle aged ladies wanting to do a road trip from Orlando to Washington as part of our trip to America next November. We were thinking of driving to Charleston - spend a day there and then drive to Williamsburg and spend a day there and then drive to Washington.
    Is this a safe area for two ladies to drive? Any other information, tips, comments and advice from the forum is most appreciated!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Orlando to Charleston and Charleston to Williamsburg are each around 400 mile drives, so while it's perfectly safe to drive between them, they are also drives that will both take most of a day. If you want to spend a day in each city, then you'll really need to plan for 2 nights both places. If you're making this trip, you might also consider a stop in Savannah, which is one of my favorite cities in the Southeast to explore.

How much time do you have for this trip, and what does the rest of your trip look like?

3. Default

Hi thanks for your response - we are fairly flexible on dates and I love your idea of stopping over in Savannah - we are spending a week in Orlando before then a week in Washington after the trip up the coast. I agree with you - we will have to work in extra time! Very excited about planning the trip - I will keep my eye on the forums as you guys have so much valuable information! Good on ya!

Default A couple of small things you may like to consider.

Bring a small NZ flag with you to put in the back window of your car. Let them know that you are not a local. Hopefully they will forgive any small driving indicretions.

Bring some small souvenirs from home. These are nice to share with folk you meet, or who have been particularly helpful.

If either of you are a member of your automobile club at home, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to maps and tourism information from the AAA wherever you travel.

Safe travels.

Lifey

Default Could You Possibly Find More Time?

First, a warning. Yes, a small flag in the back window of your car would be a conversation starter, but... Don't stick it to the window of a rental! And don't be offended when people ask you about Australia, even after talking to you. Americans are not known for either their vexillology or linguistics.

I would agree with Michael that there is much to see in and around both Charleston and Williamsburg, and both deserve at least a full day if not more. In Charleston and its environs, the old plantations along the Ashley River would be a highlight of any trip as would the ferry ride out to Fort Sumter. If you are interested in naval history, the recently salvaged CSS Hunley is currently undergoing restoration. Besides Savannah, another possible stopping point between Orlando and Charleston is Cumberland Island National Seashore.

The Williamsburg area is known as Virginia's Historic Triangle because of two other historic sites that complement the Colonial capital of Williamsburg. The first is the first permanent English settlement in North America, Jamestown, and the other is the site of the concluding battle of our Revolutionary War, Yorktown. Each of the three sites could easily fill an entire day on its own.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-10-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Default Seize the moment

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    First, a warning. Yes, a small flag in the back window of your car would be a conversation starter, but... Don't stick it to the window of a rental! And don't be offended when people ask you about Australia, even after talking to you. Americans are not known for either their vexillology or linguistics.
    What a great opportunity to teach some Americans the difference, and some essential Geography. I am often asked if I am from New Zealand, and inform the enquirer of the essential differences......

Until NZ becomes the eighth State!!

I've never had a probem sticking it to the window of a rental, especially if you use bluetack.

Lifey

She is talking about a small cloth flag, not a decal or sticker.