1. Default Mini Camper or Lodging?

I would like to take a couple months off in the beginning of next year and hit a road traveling by car. I have been traveling for some time by know but, not for a long distance. The most I made was about 1,200 miles round trip from LA to Page, Arizona considering a few off the road stops. I will be traveling alone and I'm not sure if I can make it with a mini camper because I'm a petite and everyone saying I'm crazy if I'll do it alone. However, I think it would be a great!
    Any suggestions from the experienced travelers?
    Thank you!!!

South of England.

Default It's whatever works for you.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are many solo road trippers that enjoy the open road and in camper vans so I wouldn't say it's crazy if it's what you want to do and your budget can withstand such a trip. There is no right or wrong choice, it's just a case of weighing up the Pro's and cons for your personal circumstance and going with it. If it's about saving money [as that's the forum you have posted in] and you have to rent a camper then you may find that lodgings are the cheaper option by the time you add the rental costs to the campground fees and extra fuel etc. One of our main contributors to the forums, Lifemagician, is on the road right now in her converted van.

3. Default

Thank you for your comments. Actually, I just registered and I picked this thread because I could not find, perhaps, because of my little experience with this website, the other thread with similar topics. My concerns are, money, of course, but also if I will be able to drive a car with mini camper? I'm driving KIA Sportage and never had a car bigger than that. So thank you for a link to Lifemagician on the road!

Green County, Wisconsin

When thinking about camping vs. motels, you really need to think first about what you're hoping to get out of the trip and what things you enjoy. If you're thinking camper to save money, then it's probably not a great idea - as typically it is actually cheaper to do motels, once you factor in the cost to get the camper, the extra fuel you burn, the cost of campsites, etc. You'd also have to factor the wear and tear on your car, and I wouldn't trust a Sportage to pull more than a very small camper (actually, I wouldn't trust a Sportage at all, but that's just because I owned one once and it was such a horrible vehicle that I took a financial bath just to get rid of it 6 months after buying it!).

If you're really going to be focusing your time exploring nature and being in places like National Parks, then a camper can be a great lifestyle choice. As a solo traveler, you might enjoy the more community feel of many campgrounds, compared to the rather isolated nature of motel rooms. However, if you're going to be spending a lot of time in cities, then having a trailer can be a hassle.

5. Default

I actually want to take this trip and then more trips around America to see it and to feel it. I want to see more than California, Nevada, some Arizona which I'm "taking in" by short 2-3 days road trips. I feel like a different person when I'm behind the wheel. Therefore I started thinking what would be the best way for me to travel with joy. I experienced a few problems while traveling alone, like when I accidently pulled my car over the road into deep snow. Of cause because leaving in California I have absolutely no experience driving in a snow condition, all my efforts had exactly opposite effect. So, I want to get as much information as I could from other traveler, make my choice, plan my trip, and go. The way how you described my options helped me to see into what I really want. Thank you.