1. Default 1 Month Road Trip Expedition

Hey,
    Whilst looking for inspiration I came across this website and really welcome any advise, tips or recommendations for a one month stint of the USA. I'm an English Uni student hoping to fly over to the states next year around the start of August with a mate, rent a car, and go on a bit of a jolly around the American states. Whilst it would be great to cover the whole of the USA, I suspect we will be confined to either the East or West, and have planned trips along the eastern coasts starting at either Boston or Washington D.C.. However, with there being such a wide array of choices, options and directions it makes it really difficult to decide on any particular route, I myself enjoy woodlands and lakes and would therefore like to explore the US countryside, in addition to bustling cities saturated with American culture and heritage which offer good music, dining and nightlife. Like I said any advice or tips are welcome as I'm still very much in stage 1 of this planning process

Default Getting strted

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

How much you can cover is completely up to the travel style you prefer, but in a month it is quite feasible to cover both the east and west coast. Problem would be that you would be spending more time behind the wheel, than actually out exploring and seeing things.

The number of things to see are countless, wherever you travel. The wonderful and scenic roads to take is well into the four digits.

One of the best things for you to do at this stage is get hold of good detailed maps of the US, and study them. Good maps have a wealth of information - historical, natural and touristy. You could check the routes between the places you have on your list, and see what else there is to see along the way.

If detailed maps are not available locally, you could order a Rand McNally road atlas (there is none better) from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey

Hello and welcome to RTA !

As a student renting a car in the US could be very difficult, there are usually hefty surcharges for drivers under 25 years of age and it is difficult to find a company to rent to anyone under the age of 21, so consider this and do your research properly when budgeting your trip. As above, get some good paper maps and use the RTA site to do your research and let the 'dreamy' stage of the planning begin. The more you learn the better your trip will be ! Being from the UK myself I have to say I love the west, it offers such dramatic and diverse scenery and open roads of the like we do not see on our small Island, but where you go is for you to decide. You could do a loop around the country taking a different route each way, for example, New York to San Francisco to Los Angeles to Washington DC to New York would be 12 days of your allotted time taken with solid driving. Now where that appears to leave you lots of time, you will be adding many more miles detouring to places, plus you will want to spend time stopping and enjoying them and you can choose from thousands of attractions and routes.

Once you have decided what you would like to do and have some dots on the map we will be able to help fit it together and answer any specific questions you may have.

4. Default Car Rental

I thought a general budget of around $2,000 dollars for the trip should cover the costs including flights (£500) and car rental (£500-£600) (£250-£300 each) as there are two of us. As I will be 21 it is difficult to find a good deal from any major companies, though Dollar rent-a-car seems to offer more reasonable sums. Another option would be rent directly from individual owners, on websites such as Turo.com, though I don't know how trustworthy that would be or if that is recommended. Are there any other known companies or small rental firms who offer good deals to students?

Try rentalcars.com, they are a consolidator and may find you a deal with no surcharges. I do NOT recommend you rent from individuals due to insurance issues, and if you have a breakdown you need the backing of a national company.

Your budget sounds much too low.

With the Pound as it is at the moment, $1560 of your dollars would go towards the flights and car rental based on your cost estimates. [It's a little confusing doing your budget in 2 different currencies] so you hardly have enough left for fuel for a month, never mind food, entertainment and lodgings. Perhaps you meant $2000 per person ? It can easily cost $100 per day to lodge and eat in the US, with perhaps a little for entertainment.

7. Default

Yes sorry I did mean $2000 per person. When out of the cities we would probably look to pitch tents in campsites, and whilst in cities we would make the most of motels and hostels when possible. But perhaps a slightly bigger budget is necessary

Note that there aren't many free campsites except in very isolated areas where you would have to hike in. You essentially have to budget something each and every day for spending the night.